Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Why was the insignia of a band of raiders on a simple highwayman’s clothes?

Maybe he stole the clothes? Maybe he used to be a member but had never gotten rid of the insignia but when Drystan had been fighting him he didn’t consider him good enough to be a mercenary.

And what person kept identifying symbols of a fallen army?

If he had been caught alive and found with that he would have been beaten to death for what the raiders did to the country.

Drystan looked up and watched Isadora’s retreating figure and realised that she had a personal tie to this army; why else would she keep it a secret?

He needed to find out what happened to her.

* * *

Isadora was in a place she did not know well.

Drystan had held her and screamed at her like someone who cared.

Her mother had told her once that when boys teased her it was because they liked her; did Drystan care for her?

Was that why he was so concerned with the insignia and her past?

No, Isadora shook her head; he only cared about the collective; not about her.

Who would care for her? Even her father had disappeared on the night of the attack; he had promised to search for them but he never came and he was not amongst the dead. He had abandoned his family.

She didn’t care for him nor Drystan. She cared for no one except herself because who else was going to look out for her?

At least that’s what she kept telling herself until she reached their camp once again and she could focus on something else other than her thoughts.

Because her thoughts were dangerous.

“Forgive me but I feel that God delivered you unto us,” Brother Thomas told Beth and her family around Izzie’s fire and she let out another aggravated sigh. All she wanted to do was go to bed before her watch started and yet Thomas was preaching again.

“Thank you, brother,” Beth’s mother seemed to weep, “I feel as if God is watching over us,”

“He is,” Thomas reassured them.

“Well, maybe he could watch over you somewhere else other than my fire,” Izzie interrupted them.