Chapter 23

Chapter 23

No one knew she was there; poised and ready to pounce.

She was like an animal on the prowl; her footsteps were silent against the brick as she approached the private courtyard which opened up into the town square and her movements were swift.

Stalking the balcony that ran around the square courtyard, she stared down at her prey.

He didn't even know she was there and Izzie felt a smile tugging at her lips but she pulled it back.

She wouldn't be smiling until she had his heart in her hand.

The approaching daylight gave her little cover as the shadows started to rescind but with the little that was left, she hopped up onto the ledge and pressed her back to the wall as a guard lifted his head to inspect the walkway.

His eyes glazed past her before he turned back to the prince and helped secure a horse as the prince prepared to mount his stead.

Swivelling back around on her boots until she was crouched on the ledge, she gripped her sword in her hand and jumped.

If he got onto the horse then he would escape before Izzie could get to him.

Her coat flapped out behind her as the air rushed through her clothes and she leapt to the ground.

Moving too quickly for the guards, she had already slit one guard's throat and imbedded her dagger in the other soldier's thick skull before she moved onto the prince.

Prince Asher saw her briefly before she gripped him by his long golden cape and threw him to the floor.

He tried to move but she just pressed the tip of her sword against his throat, her foot planted on his chest to keep him there.

"Only two guards?" Izzie chuckled, pointing out his stupidity. If he knew she was coming and planted the guard in his room then why would he only have two guards here to protect him?

A smirk formed on his lips as the realisation lashed back and hit Izzie in the face as it dawned on her that she had been pulled into a trap.

The soft hiss of a bow string being released caused Izzie to lift her gaze and see an arrow shooting right for her head.

Dodging out of the way, she pulled Prince Asher to his feet and planted him in front of her, using him as a shield against the archer.

"Move and I'll kill him," Izzie growled, mentally kicking herself for being so stupid as her eyes fell upon Dawn.

Dawn; the mysterious archer she had found in the woods and had never trusted. Dawn; the woman that had tried to steal Drystan.

Izzie growled.

There was a craziness that lingered in her eyes and Izzie felt like she would shoot the prince just to get to Izzie; what had happened to her?

Gone were the rosy lips and toned skin and in its place was skin as white as ashen and dark hair that stuck out on ends.

For a moment they just remained staring at each other across the courtyard, Dawn's bow already loaded for a shot at her head, when Izzie's gaze was pulled to her left.

The repetitive sound of marching armoured footsteps sounded in her ears as swords were drawn and bows strung.

Archers occupied the upper balcony, aiming for her back, as guards surrounded the courtyard from the level. Izzie calculated the numbers as fifty to one.

Izzie liked those odds.

Keeping the Prince between her and Dawn, Izzie could sense she was the real danger, as a smile formed on Dawn's lips, making her look waxy in her complexion and unnatural.