Epilogue

EPILOGUE

Three years later . . .

Drystan came back every year.

“Hello love,” Drystan smiled as they were reunited upon the hilltop on which Izzie and Iagan were both laid to rest amidst a field of flowers; stones marking their place in the earth.

A slight breeze picked up out of nowhere and engulfed his entire being with happiness and love. The scent of flowers sparking a memory of Izzie smiling across at him.

The sun had started to make its descent into the horizon but there were still a few hours of sunlight left in the day and as Drystan turned and looked down at the village, now thriving, where once it had been charred to the ground.

Brandon had really done an excellent job in restoring Isadora’s old village back to life; there was even a statue of her and Iagan in the town square as a memorial to their sacrifice.

Drystan hated that word; ‘sacrifice’.

It had taken him a few years to come to terms with the fact that Izzie hadn’t sacrificed herself; she had died on her own terms and in own time.

He hadn’t seen it at the time, too eclipsed by his grief that no one could bear being around him for the first year, as he blamed himself for her death.

If he had gotten to her sooner, saw what the prince was doing- but Drystan now knew it wouldn’t have changed anything. Izzie still would have died doing what she loved but now she could rest in peace with her family.

He still had his bad days but he could feel her love in the wind; every time he spoke to her or thought about her a sudden gush of wind would wrap around him like a blanket.

“Hello to you too, Iagan,” Drystan chuckled when the breeze turned cold until he could his breath in the air, knowing that his Scottish friend was watching as well.

The air turned warm once more and Drystan ran his fingers across Izzie’s gravestone, “So here we are,” Drystan couldn’t believe that the day had come, “Brandon’s wedding day. But you didn’t want to hear about that . . .” Drystan smiled softly, “Iagan, you’ll like this one,” Drystan nodded to the sky as he started to speak about his latest adventures.

* * *

Izzie smiled as she listened to Drystan tell them about his exploits, brandishing his sword in the air as he acted it out for them, but little did he know that Izzie had been with him every step of the way.

She just wished he would stop looking at the sky; she was right in front of him.

Dressed in the long flowing white gown the angels had put her in, she had tried to keep her armour but they wouldn’t allow such things up there. This dress only reminded her of something she should have worn on her wedding day with Drystan.

“He’ll be fine,” Iagan suddenly appeared by her side, the same pure aura around his entire being.

Ever since he had been reunited with his family, Iagan was sickeningly positive and happy. It made Izzie weary to be around him because of all her time on earth he had been the grumpiest man she’d ever met.

Aside from Drystan, but even now as she turned back and gazed upon her love, she could see that his eyes no longer held the heavy burden on her death.