Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Izzie’s hand shook as she forced herself to cut him through but something was holding her back; maybe it was his willingness to die or she was just too overwhelmed with anger that she couldn’t move.

“Go on then, do it,” Colt enticed her and Izzie breathed heavily through her nose as she focused on the sword and pushing it through his throat but she still couldn’t kill him.

“You can’t, can you?” Colt laughed as he got to his feet and brushed the blade aside, her arm releasing all tension and the sword swung by her side.

Izzie followed him as he walked around the tent, avoiding his guards’ spilt blood.

“I must admit I was impressed with your skill . . . not one of my men could get through that guard,”

“I’m chuffed you noticed,” Izzie snapped at him with sarcasm; she hadn’t come here to show off her fighting skills; she’d come to kill him but something was stopping her. What was it!?

“You must really hate me,” Colt added, “To dedicate your life to training that much,”

“I do,” Izzie told him steadily.

“And yet you can’t kill me,” Colt teased her as he removed the blanket, showing off his glory, before he pulled on some tight black leather trousers.

Izzie felt her chest grumble with rage even as she was looking for a way out; she might not be able to kill him yet but he wouldn’t have trouble with killing her.

“Is it because I didn’t fight you?” Colt turned back to her, keeping his broad, masculine chest showing, “No . . .” Colt murmured as something dawned on him.

Izzie kept eye contact and she could tell she wasn’t about to like what he said.

“It’s not because I didn’t fight you, or actually it is, but it’s because you wanted me to fight you to cover the fact that you’re a murderer,”

Izzie got to her feet, “I don’t murder innocents,” she growled at him, “I’m not the one pillaging villages and raping women,”

“You’re a murderer,” Colt reinforced, “Just like me. You love the fight and the rush of power you get when you kill. You might be less significant than me maybe but you hide it well,”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Izzie snapped but the face of that young boy flooded to the front of her mind.

“Yes, you do,” Colt grabbed her by the wrist and held her close, Izzie tried to break free but his hold was like an iron grip.

“You’ve known all along but you’re afraid; so you hide behind your good deeds and dark past, making you feel invincible but you’re just the same as me; a murderer.”