chap 23

It was evening. Dressed in a beautiful peach chiffon saree adorned with a pearl necklace and pearl studs, Swara was looking elegant in a loose bun.

Sanskar was looking at her sitting on the couch. His intense gaze made her turn towards him. She blew a kiss to him.

"How can you be so perfect Swara!" Sanskar said, "I mean managing hospital, Ashna, home and relationships, this is not everyone's cup of tea!"

"Not without your support!" Swara said with a final touch of perfume, "I am ready! We should go now! Your colleagues will be waiting."

Sanskar had to throw a dinner party to his colleagues in a plush hotel. A few of the close friends were invited too.

Sanskar and Swara, along with Maheshwaris and Boses, were on the way to venue.

Suddenly, Sanskar's phone flashed with a message from an unknown number. His instinct told him to open the message. Happy anniversary Sanskar Maheshwari! Hope you have enjoyed this day of your life to the fullest.  Who knows this may become the last day of yours, or your beautiful wife's, or your daughter's!

Sanskar's forehead frowned. He was used to threats to his own life but this time, it was for Swara and Ashna.

"What happened?" Swara asked.

Not wanting to disturb her, he smiled and kept away his phone. "Nothing!" He replied.

Sanskar could pretend in front of anyone. But he could not hide anything from Swara's 6th sense. She understood his lie but chose to stay silent and calm.

As soon as they reached the venue, Sanskar took Ali in a corner.

"Sir! We have informed the department. They are tracing the source." Ali informed him.

Sanskar nodded and tried to smile. But his gut feeling was not supporting the smile. It was saying continuously that something wrong will happen today.

Keeping a close eye on Ashna, he smiled and accepted wishes from everyone. He looked at his whole family. They were happy and chitchatting with guests. An unknown fear was engulfing his heart continuously. He took a quick scan of the hall. Ashna, Reyansh and Ayansh, all three were playing with other kids. Swara was standing with wives of some of his colleagues. His other family was busy talking to people of their same interest.

He saw Swara coming towards him. There was a great smile on her face. This was the smile he would die for. He could not let anyone with wrong intentions to even look at her.

"I know something is wrong and you are not telling me!" Swara whispered as soon as she came near him.

"Nothing! Just a little work related stress!" He replied trying to smile.

"Lier!" Swara tapped his forehead, "I know something else is worrying you. You know you can't lie to me."

Sanskar sighed and looked at her, "I wish I could tell you."

"No issues! But I just want to let you know that I am here for you. You are not alone in anything." Swara replied and pressed his palm a little.

How could she know everything! Sanskar's heart thanked her for being with him.

She turned to go away. Sanskar was busy watching her retreating figure. Suddenly his 6th sense worked a little. He took a view of the windows. And then, to his horror, he saw a gun pointed towards Swara. His breathe got struck in his chest. He saw the trigger being pulled.

With all his gathered strength, he immediately ran towards Swara and the next moment, both of them were lying on the floor. Everyone had heard the gunshot.