Chapter 15. Johnny Cash

Aspen

"Hey baby." My mom says as I sit down next to her.

"Hey Mama."

"You okay?" She whispers and I nod, knowing my face was red and puffy. "Okay.." She says, patting my hand.

"So, Theo, how long have you played?" My dad asks.

Theo looks up in contemplation, "Since I was... 4 really. I didn't officially start playing on a team until I was six though. So, 17 years, I think." He says and my dad nods.

"You're really good."

"Thank you, Sir. Means a lot." Theo says, smiling nervously. I reach under the table, placing my hand on his knee.

"Mommy, switch me seats. I want to sit by Sissy." Annie says as my mom sighs.

"You're lucky I love you kid." She says, standing up and switching seats with Annie.

"Theo, look at what I drew!" She says, sliding the kids menu over.

"That's awesome!" He says, grinning.

"It's Daddy!" She says and I snort.

"That bad?" My dad asks and I nod.

"You're right eye is bigger than your left." I say and he chuckles, pulling mom's chair closer to him.

"So, Theodore." Adelaide speaks up, "Tell me, what's it like dating my shit show of an older sister." She says and he chokes on his drink.

I pat his back a couple of times as he coughs.

"Adelaide Harper Rhodes." My mom scolds as Adelaide grins.

"We.. We're not dating." Theo manages to get out.

"Mhm, we'll see about that Buddy." Adelaide says before turning and whisper something in Auggie's ear.

I narrow my eyes at him as he grins and shrugs his shoulders. "Conniving little shits." I mumble.

Annie crawls across my lap before climbing onto Theo.

"Annie, honey. Theo probably doesn't want you climbing all over him." My mom says and she shrugs.

"No, he's okay." She says and I chuckle.

"I don't mind, really." Theo says and my mom nods. "I have a little sister, I get it."

"How old is she?" My mom asks.

"Sixteen."

"Ah. You guys fit right in with us then." My dad says, chuckling. "As you can tell, we like age gaps." My mom swats his chest.

"How close are you guys?"

"Very." He says and my mom smiles.

"That's good." She says, leaning against my dad's arm.

He looks down at his phone, "Speak of the devil." She says, "Excuse me." He says answering his phone. "Hey Jules."

"Yeah we won."

"Yes, there were fights." He says, chuckling.

"Can I call you when I get home? I'm actually out at dinner right now."

"We both know you won't be asleep." He says, looking down at the table.

I look over at my mom. "She made me switch chairs just so she could sit on Theo's lap." She says, shaking her head. "That kid."

"She's adorable."

"As expected to be. She is my kid after all." My dad says and I roll my eyes.

"Still cocky, I see." I tease.