Chapter 40

Rafael trudged up the stairs swiftly, taking two at a time, a fat smile plastered on his face. He couldn't contain his overflowing joy. It was one of his best days and he couldn't wait to share his joy with Paula.

One: he had closed a billion dollar deal with Gabriel Santos and two....

His thoughts trailed off as another big smile creased his face.

He had received another news that had set his mind at ease.He no longer felt guilty about his feelings for Paula. She was the best thing to ever happen to him and he knew it.

He was not going to surpress his emotions any longer. He even wanted to shout out to the whole world that he was in love with one of the strongest, loving, resilient and beautiful woman ever, Paula Solano.

He strode to her room in urgent strides. It was late at night but he needed to see her right away and confess his feelings for her.

He slowly opened her door and peeked inside. Her room was dark save for a pale moonlight coming from the windows. The moonlight illuminated her small figure laying in the middle of the queen sized bed.

Rafael entered the room and gently closed the door behind him. He stood by her bed,staring down at her with a fond smile. Different emotions overwhelmed him.

How could he be so blind?

The truth was there all the time, staring at him in the eye but he had been foolish enough to brush it away.

He sat down beside her and brushed away the hair in her face. Paula mumbled something in her sleep and leaned into his touch.

He had caused her a lot of pain and he didn't know how to make up for all that.

Removing his shoes, tie and suit, he was left wearing a white boxer short. He slipped into bed, and gathered her into his arms.

She looked so peaceful and beautiful sleeping that he decided his news would wait.

Tonight, he was only going to hold her and be grateful that he had not lost her completely.

He didn't know how long he stayed awake,staring at the ceiling, with Paula's head laying on his naked chest. After some time, he began to doze off.

He felt her stirring awake in his arms and he woke up. Her long eyelashes opened and her familiar dark eyes stared back at him. For a moment, they were clouded with confusion and then she seemed to remember something and they flared up.

She pushed him away with an outraged cry. It was so sudden that he landed on the carpeted floor with a loud thud. He stared back at her, confused by her sudden behavior.

She was glaring at him with cold and stony eyes. Her breathing was escalating. Rafael had never seen her this angry ever since they reunited.

It was like glimpsing at the old Paula, who was once a spoiled, rich heiress who never cared about anyone.