Chapter 9

Paula gasped in shock and he took that moment to invade her mouth with such intensity. His tongue stroked and probed, demanding her response. His strong arm circled her tiny waist bringing her closer and his other hand moving through her dark curls.

Paula closed her eyes and held onto his broad shoulders as he kissed her back with such a passion. After a brief moment, Rafael pushed her away with such a force that stunned Paula into opening her eyes.

Her heart shattered when she saw the expression on his face. Rafael was staring at her with so much hate and despise. His angry eyes dropped to her swollen lips and his thump traced her lower lip with an agonising slowness.

"Did that bastard kiss you like that?," he suddenly asked.

Revulsion swept through her. She slapped away his hand .

"Are you trying to get back at me for hurting your ego back those years."

Rafael cocked an eyebrow at her in enquiry. Paula made a sound in disbelief.

"You are dirty and downright disgusting, Rafael. Your girlfriend is waiting in the next room and here you are, trying to lure me into your bed," she added with venom in her smooth voice.

His dark eyes narrowed dangerously in anger.

"Don't delude yourself cara, thinking you are still anyone special to me. I was only curious to see if you are still the same feisty brat l once knew you to be ," he replied in contempt.

Paula hated it when he switched between Spanish and Italian but at the same time, she secretly enjoyed it when he called her those sweet endearments. It reminded her of the old Rafael.

Hazel and Rafael's mother were both half breeds. Their father was of Spanish descent and their mother Italian. So Rafael had grown up naturally speaking both languages with an ease that never ceases to amaze Paula.

Paula's mind traveled back to one afternoon six years ago when she sneaked into Rafael's room. Hazel had gone shopping for groceries and Paula had slipped out of the house without anyone observing.

They had spent that afternoon discovering each other in the most intimate ways. Satiated and spent, she had laid her head against Rafael's chest, drawing small circles on it.

She had peered at him through her eyelashes with a mischievous glint in her eyes as her hand trailed lower and lower. Rafael had stopped her moving hand, laughing so hard.

"Stop Paula. We can't . My Aunt will be back in thirty minutes ," he had chuckled.

Paula had pouted at him in disappointment and her dark eyes had instantly lit as an idea crossed her mind.

"Then teach me Italian," she had said.

A deep, rich laughter she loved to hear had rumbled deep from him. He raised her hand to his mouth and kissed her knuckles.

"My pleasure, Carissima."

"What did you want to tell me about Hazel ?"

His voice jerked her back to reality. Paula blinked realising that she was standing in his study and not in his arms at the small cottage.

"She recognised me today for a moment before she slipped back into her usual daydreaming. When she woke up after her afternoon nap, she took out all your baby pictures. Hazel misses you a lot. You are rarely home during the day and when you return from work, she will be asleep. The person she needs the most is you."

His face remained unreadable staring at her. Paula felt angry that he was showing no emotion to her words. She suddenly felt the urge to crumple that composed look on his face.