Chapter 4

Six years ago(Flashback)

His deep rich voice jolted her out of her trance. Paula blinked and realising that she was still in the stranger’s arms , she quickly scrambled to her feet colour rising in her cheeks.

"My cake," she gasped when she saw the chocolate cake splashed all over the pavement.

She raised accusing eyes to the handsome guy who towered over her. He was very tall that she only managed to reach his shoulders. His broad shoulders gave a slight shrug in nonchalance.

"It was you who bumped into me," he said in a tired and uninterested voice.

Paula felt her anger mounting at his arrogance. He didn’t even seem apologetic for the cake he had ruined. She had spent a good deal of a sleepless night baking that cake for Hazel’s birthday and now all her efforts were now laid to waste. Without thinking , she raised her right hand and slapped him hard across the face.

He stood glaring back at her holding his reddened cheek. He hated people who manipulated other people the most. Fuming with rage, he grabbed her slender arms. Paula's eyes widened in fear seeing the murderous look in his dark eyes.

"Let go of me,you bastard!," Paula cried as she squirmed in his tight hold.

A smirk crept on his face. He was truly amazed that this girl was now acting as a victim when she was the one to slap him first. His jaw clenched in anger .

"The only woman allowed to hit me is my mother , got it?," he demanded in a bellowing voice.

Their eyes glared at each other in challenge until a sharp voice broke the moment.

"Goodness Rafael! That's the young miss!," Hazel exclaimed running towards them when she saw the unfolding scene.

A look of surprise crossed Rafael's face. He quickly released her arms and stepped back from her. Paula shot daggers at him whilst rubbing her sore forearms. She already disliked him at that moment.

"Are you okay, honey?," hazel asked her anxiously as she inspected her arms.

Paula smiled at the warmth in the older woman's voice.

"I apologise for my nephew's rude behaviour. He is going through a rough time ."

Paula swung back her eyes to him in shock. She couldn’t believe this was the “Rafael” Hazel had sung praises about all the time. Hazel had told her numerous tales about him ever since she was little and at some point , she had even developed a silly crush on him without even seeing him in person. For the life of her, she couldn’t believe it was this rude and egoistical boy in front of her. She felt humiliation creeping inside her.

"Why are you apologising on someone's behalf! ," Paula snapped , suddenly feeling annoyed that Hazel was defending that rude boy.

She drew in a deep breath to calm down her anger.

"I came to give you a birthday cake but someone ruined it," she said whilst throwing daggers at Rafael.

She handed Hazel a small gift bag.

“Oh Paula!,” Hazel gasped as she took out a silver watch, bracelet, earrings and necklace.

“Happy birthday, Hazel.”

"Thank you, Paula. They are so beautiful!," Hazel exclaimed as tears shone in her eyes.

Paula hugged her patting her back.