Chapter 4 - Come Fly with Me

Well, they were right about a story being told in the paper. As a reporter, I knew all too well about how all that went, but, as I had already told those guys, I was never paired with my interviewee. Coworkers of mine had, but never me. It was exciting and irritating at the same time, mainly since the article was a bunch of bologna. They didn't make a big stink about him taking me to the hospital, it was after, when I was seen getting into his car and being dropped off at the hotel. They said I was a special lady to him. Anyone would think what that could mean.

I slammed the paper on the coffee table in front of me as I sat in the lobby of this hotel, and a picture of Elvis was staring back at me, smile and cheekbones and all. The date was small but seemed like the bold print of the headline and caught my attention more. I had to convince myself I was in 1965 since I went to sleep and woke up from a dream. How insane this all was. Well, I shouldn't think too much on that now since it was my reality. I had to focus on what was going on at the moment concerning me and playing in that movie. The director called me personally last night and told me he would be glad to have me, and I would start out with playing one of those "beautiful palace women" as he called them. Concubines. What a start to an acting gig. And... there was the little problem of getting me to California so I could play this woman.

I spotted the men that were with Elvis the day before, and they came up to me. About an hour later, I was sitting in a private plane that was a bit cramped with seats. It was more of a jet, and I was at a window seat in a row of three, and another row of three faced me. That was how all the seats were organized—in booths. We were flying over the clouds, and I admit, it was rather peaceful, aside from the sound of the plane flying. The men on the plane with me were quiet, and if they talked, they used hushed tones—a far cry from my trip to Memphis. I was stuck behind and in front of young families with whining children.

"Elvis, where are you going?" one of the men asked, and I jumped out of my thoughts.

"I'll be back. Hold your horses, okay?"

I thought nothing of that and stared out the window at the fluffy white blanket below us. Who knew what state we were over? It had been about an hour since we took off. Three more hours to go. At least the flight wouldn't be long. That was what I thought when those noisy families really grated on my nerves.

A song entered my head, and I started humming it. Suddenly, I found a presence in the aisle to my left. I looked over and found Elvis standing there, near to where my wheelchair was parked in the aisle. No one was down that way, so we just figured it would be fine to leave it there, blocking the aisle.

"Hey, you doin' okay?" he asked as he looked really attractive in black slacks and a blue dress shirt that matched the color of his eyes. His black hair complemented his look, even though it was the same color as his pants.

"Yeah, I am," I said with a shrug. "You?"

He shrugged, too. "Sure. I mean, I love those guys to death, but I need to get away from 'em somehow. Mind if I sit with ya for a time?" I indicated the row facing me. He sat in the middle seat, so he was to the left of the seat right in front of me. "So... you like Frank, huh?"

"What?" I asked, confused.

"Frank. As in Frank Sinatra. You were hummin' his 'Fly Away' song just now. It's one of my favorites of his." He sang, "Weatherwise, it's such a lovely day... Just say the word and we'll beat the birds to Acapulco Bay... You know, that song came out just before I left for the army."

I smirked, and I admittedly loved his singing voice in person. "I guess I hardly noticed I was humming it. So... what year did it come out?"

He tried to hide the fact that he was surprised that I asked that. "1958. So, you a fan of Frank's?"