Chapter 14 - So Close Yet So Far from Paradise

I've been receiving come really kind comments regarding the story. Thank you so much! It makes me all warm and fuzzy to know you all like my stories 😊❤

~ ~ ~

I have never been this unprofessional with one of my subjects before. I never made out with them in an upstairs room during a party. I wouldn't put it passed some of my colleagues to do that, but not me! I was abhorred with myself.

Knocking sounded on my bedroom door around seven in the morning. I snuggled up in my blankets, not wanting to go anywhere. The knocking came again.

"Rebecca? Sweetie, are you okay?" The door opened, and the light from the hallway flooded into the dark room. I faced the brightness, but I had my blankets covering my face. "Hey. Are you awake?"

"If I wasn't before, I am now," I mumbled into the blanket. I felt my kind and compassionate roommate sit on the edge of the bed and put a hand on my shoulder over the blankets.

"Are you not going to work today?" she asked.

"I'm too mortified and embarrassed to go anywhere after what happened last night."

She was silent for a moment, then said, "It's not a bad thing to let your guard down."

"It is when that hot star with sideburns is involved." I flung the covers off and sat up. I moved my still-straight hair out of my face. "I didn't want to give in to him, but I did after he sang that song. It hit me so hard as he sang it that I was meant to come here. Why me, huh?!"

Even in the dim lighting, I could see her gentle, understanding expression. Her hair and makeup weren't done since that would be done on the set, but she was fully clothed in a purple blouse and white pants. "Maybe you were the only one who could change him. He wants to change because of you. He even let go of the women in his life for you. Priscilla and others probably tried to talk sense into him, but you... he listened to you. You had the power since he's so in love with you, it probably scares him."

I thought about that for a moment. "Maybe you're right, but I gave in to his advances and those beautiful blue eyes and that sexy voice..." I flung the covers over my head and lay back down. "No, I'm not going anywhere that he is."

"Then how are you supposed to get your story done?"

"I have enough information to go on."

"You're not the type of person to back away or give up. You put yourself in a movie just so you could get a story."

She had a point, and I didn't like that she did. I was always told that I was determined, and I never liked walking away from something before finishing it, especially when it had to do with work. "Thanks, but I don't want to face him. He's going to want to talk."

"Then talk with him. You are both adults, not children in grade school."

"But he's going to tell me that he won this, that he successfully made me give in to his charms and, well, pretty much everything about him. I really don't want to be infatuated with that guy or be involved with him."

"Just talk about it, okay?"

"What if I tell him I don't want to be in a relationship, but he goes around and says..." I faked his voice, "'Well, why did you kiss me like you did if you didn't wanna start somethin', huh?'"

"Just tell him the truth. Reveal your feelings but say that you don't want to start something. Elvis is a good man. He'll understand."

He was a very relentless and persistent one as well. "Psht. Like he understood the past times he's tried to jump down my throat about the subject? No way. I'll just call Gene and tell him I won't be able to make it."