Chapter 8 - Well, I Was Told

Hey, guys! Sorry it took so long for me to post another chapter! I went on vacation and got caught up with some other stuff. Enjoy! And thanks for reading and being patient!

~ ~ ~

My ankles were starting to feel better. I hobbled across the living room as Mary Ann made dinner a couple nights later after we got back from the set. Since I felt like I was quickly healing, I told Gene that I would probably be able to be in some standing scenes. That made me happy. This acting thing was growing on me, and I could admit... that handsome star with the sideburns was growing on me, too. I refused to let myself go farther than toleration, though. But, a woman loved to see a man stare jealously at her talking with another man. Alan, I felt, made an effort to talk to me while Elvis was in view of us. I still had yet to accept that dinner invitation. Alan was in town for about four more days. Maybe I would just throw him a bone.

"Ow!" I hollered when I rammed into the coffee table with one of my feet that was out of a bandage. Mary Ann came into the living room and saw me sit on the floor and rub my foot. "Geez... I just made it worse."

"Your mind seemed to be on something else as you were walking. I glanced back and saw that you were in a slight trance." She placed her hands on her hips, over her bright yellow pants. She gave me a sly look. "Now, were you thinking about Elvis or Alan, hm?"

"Please... I wasn't thinking about either of those two."

"Uh-huh, right. I may be in love with someone else, but I can still ogle a handsome man. Elvis is very attractive, and Alan, well, even though he's my cousin, I still notice that he's attractive. So... you were thinking about the two of them?"

I let out a huff. "Okay, okay, fine. Yes, happy?" She grinned. "It's just... those two... It's weird. Men haven't been interested in me like this before, especially not two hot men like those two. I'm having the hardest time keeping my head about me. And I'm usually pretty good at doing that!"

She laughed. "Well, handsome men can make the most level-headed woman loopy. So? Are you ever going to give in to Elvis? Or are you going to accept Alan's dinner invitation?"

"Doing either of those would mean that I'm not doing my job well."

She went back to the stove and stirred the beef stew, whose aroma was filling the apartment. "You can still have fun with a man and do your job well."

"Not when it's the man I'm interviewing. I haven't been able to do so since both of us have been so busy. I need to ask him about his little girlfriend Priscilla. I'm sure that would keep him a bay."

"He's Elvis Presley. The fact that he has a girlfriend won't change anything."

I stood up and went and sat down on the sofa. "I really hate how you have a point. Elvis Presley, ever the ladies' man."

"So... about Alan..."

"I guess..." This was infuriating. "Okay. I'll say yes. But that doesn't mean that it's an on-going thing. He has to get back to the South in a few days. Actually, maybe going on a date with him will keep Elvis at bay."

"Maybe. Or it'll just make him more jealous."

I smirked. Elvis didn't know about that dinner invitation. Oh, how I would love to see his face when he finds out about it. Well, maybe I'll just pull an Alan—flirt with him while Elvis was watching.

"Stew's ready, Rebecca."

"Okay."

I made my way to the table, actually looking forward to work the next day. Yes, I would need to find the time to interview Elvis and try to stand for a scene, but mostly, I needed to make Elvis see that he stood no chance with me.