Chapter 15 - One Last Moment with Him

The moment I was wheeled in by one of the medics, people stared. Yes, I was the woman who was associated with Elvis Presley himself. People even went wild at seeing people or things that were associated with him. That was another mental note.

I was brought to a room that had that same poster about the 1965 flu shot was there on the door. How far I had come since I realized where and when I was.

I lay there on the bed as a nurse came in, a nurse that reminded me of the last time I was in the hospital. She gave me a large smile, showing some wrinkles near her eyes.

"Well, well, well, it's good to see you, Miss Hasam. My friend at the hospital in Memphis told me about you. It seems like only yesterday that you were brought there by Elvis Presley. I've read in the paper that you've been quite busy."

She came over and started looking at my injured foot that was wrapped up, and she moved it a little. I winced at the pain it caused. "Yeah, there have been a lot of stories written about me. Funny, since I'm the one that supposed to write the stories."

She only giggled at that, and then her brows pushed together when she removed a bit of the wrapping on my foot. "My... you did quite the number to your foot here. It is definitely broken. Let me go fetch the doctor."

Her voice showed urgency, and she left the room. I waited there only a minute before the nurse and that same older doctor came in. He gave me a friendly smile. He reminded me of Dr. Bent. They looked similar. "Hello, Miss Hasam. I heard you've been through the ringer."

"You can say that again," I said, and my foot started throbbing. "Ow... Gosh, this hurts..."

He came over and completely unwrapped my cast and saw the damage. "I apologize, but this will hurt a little more," he said, then to the nurse, "Nurse Karen..." She took my hand as he moved my foot slightly, and I yelped at the splitting pain. "It's as you suspected, Nurse. Miss Hasam, you will need to have surgery to right your foot."

"Surgery?" I asked. "But... that's way too expensive."

He and Nurse Karen exchanged glances, then he looked at me with a smirk. "As before, Mr. Presley offered to pay for whatever needs to be done."

I blew air out of my mouth. "Of course he wants to pay for everything. That's just like him."

Really, I wanted to see him desperately. I needed to see those eyes, that smile, hear that lovely southern voice of his...

"Prep her for surgery, Nurse Karen," the doctor instructed, then to me, "I will perform the surgery. It shouldn't take long at all. About two hours at most."

I nodded, then whined, "Okay, okay, but please... just make the hurting stop..."

"You poor thing..." cooed Nurse Karen. "You'll be as good as new in a couple of hours."

They both left, but then other people in dated hospital attire came in and wheeled me out on a gurney after I was changed into a hospital gown. Before I knew it, I was staring up at a bright light and the doctor. He put something over my face, and then... black.

~ ~ ~

It seemed like only seconds passed before my eye fluttered open. When they did, my vision focused, and I saw a white ceiling and light fixture, one of those industrial ones in office buildings. I looked over and saw Mary Ann sitting there, and she was leaned over on my bed with her head resting on one hand, and the other was holding mine. Her eyes were closed, and little snores escaped her. I smirked, happy to see her. I squeezed her hand, and she woke up and blinked her eyes. She saw me looking at her and gasped.