21

"You were the one who left me for another girl."

"I had my reasons."

As the words left his lips, a mixture of confusion and frustration clouded my mind. "So now you're telling me you had a reason for that?"

Zane's expression softened, and he reached out to hold my hand. "Sugarplum, there's so much you don't know," he said, his voice filled with sincerity. "I made that choice because I thought it was what was best for you at the time. But things have changed, and I realize now that my feelings for you never really went away."

My heart pounded in my chest, a whirlwind of emotions stirring within me. "What do you mean? What changed?"

Before Zane could respond, his driver entered my office, breaking the intensity of the moment. He informed Zane that his flight was about to leave, urging him to hurry. Zane's gaze lingered on me, his eyes filled with a mix of longing and regret.

"I'm sorry, sugarplum," he said softly, placing a gentle kiss on my forehead. "We have plenty of time to talk about this. I promise."

And with that, he left, leaving me both satisfied and with a flurry of unanswered questions. I watched as he disappeared from view, my mind racing with a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions.

At lunchtime, I found myself sitting across from Angelica, unable to contain the excitement bubbling within me. I eagerly spilled the details of Zane's unexpected visit, his confession, and the whirlwind of emotions that followed.

Angelica listened intently, her eyes widening with surprise and delight. "Wow, I told you a simple conversation could fix it all," she said, shaking her head in amusement. "But no, you didn't want to listen."

I chuckled, feeling a mix of relief and gratitude. "You were right. I should have talked to him earlier. But now, we have a chance to finally explore what's been lingering between us all these years."

She grinned, nudging me playfully. "Well, it looks like your journey has taken an unexpected turn. Enjoy the ride, and don't forget to communicate this time," she added with a wink.

-

As I stepped into my apartment, the exhaustion from a long day at work weighed heavily on my shoulders. Just as I was about to kick off my shoes, my phone rang, and I saw Zane's name flashing on the screen. With a tired smile, I answered the call.

"Hey, Shaw," I greeted, my voice carrying a hint of fatigue. "How was your flight?"

Zane's warm voice flowed through the phone, instantly bringing a sense of comfort. "It's been good, sugarplum. I went straight to office and I am wrapping up some things right now. Oh, by the way, your dad and I started on a new project together. It's exciting."

A mixture of surprise and intrigue washed over me. "Really? That's great news! I'm glad you are collaborating. I can't wait to hear more about it."

As Zane and I continued our conversation, I decided to make a quick dinner. Hungry and in need of food, I thought frying an egg would be a simple and fast option. However, as I got lost in our conversation, the smell of smoke filled the air, and I realized with horror that I had forgotten about the egg.

Coughing and trying to wave away the smoke, I managed to mutter a response to Zane's concern. "I'm... I'm okay, Shaw. Just a little mishap in the kitchen. I burned the egg."

There was a brief pause on the other end of the line, followed by Zane's laughter. "If we ever live together, we'll definitely need to hire a cook, sugarplum. Otherwise, I'll have to buy us a new kitchen every other week."

I couldn't help but chuckle, the sound mingling with the fading smoke in the background. "You might be onto something there, Zane. I don't think my cooking skills are quite up to par. But hey, at least we'll never have a dull moment."

Zane's laughter filled the airwaves, and I could almost picture the playful smile on his face. "That's for sure, sugarplum. And besides as long as one of us, me, can cook it should be fine. No need for me to hire a cook then."

I laughed and as the conversation continued, my burned egg and smoky kitchen were momentarily forgotten.

"I need to take you on a proper date and ask you to be my girlfriend."

A smile tugged at the corners of my lips as Zane's words resonated through the phone. "A proper date, huh? And asking me to be your girlfriend?" I replied, my voice laced with a mix of playfulness and anticipation. "Well, Shaw, you do have plenty of time to plan something special. No need to rush."

Zane's voice held a hint of determination. "I know, sugarplum, but I want to do it soon. You mean a lot to me, and I want to make it official."

My heart skipped a beat at his words, feeling a warmth spread throughout my being. "I appreciate that, Zane. Whenever you're ready, I'll be here."

The conversation took a turn as Zane asked about my return to New York. His words stirred memories of the invitation he had extended to me for the ball. "I'll probably come back for the ball," I replied, excitement bubbling within me. "It's been a while since I've been in New York, and it'll be a perfect occasion to see you again."

Zane's voice held a note of eagerness. "I can't wait to have you here, sugarplum."

"Same... hey I just remembered something," I chuckled softly as I reminisced about our mischievous childhood adventures. "Zane, do you remember how we used to climb the fence and sneak out to play under that big tree in the forest?"

Zane's laughter resonated through the phone, a nostalgic sound that brought back a flood of memories. "Of course I do, sugarplum. Those were some of the best times. We felt like explorers in our own little world."

I smiled, the images vivid in my mind. "And remember how our poor nanny would have a heart attack trying to find us? She thought we were kidnapped or something."

Zane's laughter grew louder. "Oh, she was in a constant state of panic whenever we disappeared. I think we gave her more gray hairs than she would care to admit."

I laughed. I looked at the time and gasped. Was it so late already? "I will go shower and head to bed," I told Zane. "Good night and sweet dreams."

"Good night, sugarplum. Remember what we used to say to each other every night before bed?"

I giggled. Of course I did. "Goodnight, sleep tight, and remember, if zombies chase us, I'm tripping you!"

Don't forget to Vote, comment & share!!