2.

**cover made by KuschkaLombard

5 years later

"And that concludes today's meeting, ladies and gentlemen. Before you leave, feel free to help yourselves to some coffee and pastries." I placed the papers on my desk and glanced up at the board of directors, predominantly composed of men. Only two women, including myself, were present. I couldn't recall the name of the other lady in the red blazer.

"That was impressive, Miss Vasilios. Your company's continuous growth is truly remarkable," Mr. Ashram remarked, offering me a warm smile. He was the one who provided me with an internship during my second year at Harvard. "Your parents must be incredibly proud of you."

I returned his smile and nodded. "They are," I replied, sweeping my gaze across the room, taking in all the satisfied faces before speaking up again. "I apologize for not being able to stay longer. I have another meeting to attend. Enjoy the rest of your day, ladies and gentlemen, and don't forget to indulge in some coffee and pastries."

With a final nod, I exited the conference room where I had been since seven in the morning. Glancing at my Swarovski watch, I realized I had only fifteen minutes left before my next meeting. I smoothed my blazer and made my way to the elevator.

"Miss Vasilios, your car is waiting outside," Daphne, my personal assistant, appeared out of nowhere, causing me to take a step back to avoid colliding with her. She held a Starbucks coffee and a donut in her hand. "I brought you breakfast. I'm sure you haven't had a chance to eat this morning."

She was right. I had woken up at five to put the final touches on the presentation, rushing to the office for the 7:30 start. Now it was already ten, and I felt utterly drained. It had been ages since I had a restful night's sleep or a leisurely morning. Ever since graduating from Harvard, it had been the same routine every single day: work, home, eat, sleep, repeat.

"Thank you, Daphne," I gratefully took the coffee and donut from her. She truly was a lifesaver in times like these. "I'll be back in my office at two in the afternoon."

She nodded and left, but to my surprise, I heard her heels clicking behind me again. "Wait, Miss Vasilios. Should I reschedule your appointment then?"

Confusion etched across my face. "I have an appointment this afternoon?"

"Yes." Daphne retrieved a small planner from her Louis Vuitton bag. "Lunch with Angelica at twelve," she read aloud before looking up at me with raised eyebrows.

I inwardly cursed. How could I forget? I had already canceled our dinner date last week, and if I rescheduled the lunch, she would be furious.

"Where did we agree to meet?" I asked, softly massaging my temples. A headache was slowly creeping in. When would I ever have time for myself?

"The sushi place in Long Beach."

"It's quite a drive from here, but I'll be there. Don't cancel it."

Daphne nodded and jotted down a note in her planner. "Very well. I'll call her later to remind her about it."

"Is there anything else?" I hoped not. Please, let the answer be no.

Thankfully, she shook her head. "That's all."

"Good," I curtly replied and hurried toward the elevator. I would be late for the meeting if I didn't hurry. As I stepped outside, the car was already waiting for me.