30

Once we landed back in New York, Zane's driver promptly picked us up from the airport. The familiar sights of the city greeted us as we made our way through the bustling streets. However, my mind was preoccupied with the impending family meeting that awaited us.

With an empty stomach and a craving for biryani, we decided to stop at a local Indian restaurant. The aroma of spices filled the air as we entered the cozy establishment. I ordered a plate of biryani and some samosas, eagerly anticipating the flavors that would soon dance on my taste buds.

As we sat in the car, indulging in the delectable meal, I couldn't help but express my apprehension about meeting my family. "I don't even want to go," I confessed, my voice heavy with uncertainty. Zane's reassuring presence and his comforting words provided solace in that moment of vulnerability. "I'll be there with you, and you'll be fine. We can leave whenever you're ready," he assured me, his voice brimming with support and understanding.

The memories of our enchanting time in Paris seemed like a distant dream. The magic we had experienced together had temporarily shielded us from the complexities of our personal lives. However, the reality of the family meeting now demanded our attention. Tomorrow, I would have to return to California, tending to my responsibilities as a business owner.

The remaining hours of the day passed in a blur as we prepared for the family meeting and contemplated the path forward. Though our time in Paris had been brief, its impact on our relationship was profound. We wished we could have extended our stay, cherishing each other's company without the weight of familial issues.

Zane and I arrived at my parents' mansion, stepping out of the car and walking towards the front door. As we entered, my mom greeted us with a cheerful smile. "I'm so glad you're finally home," she exclaimed. "How was Paris?"

"Paris was great," I replied, returning her smile. "Where's Angelica?" During my time in Paris, Angelica had stayed at the mansion with my family in my room.

"She went to visit her parents," my mom informed me. "Are you two hungry? Do I need to make something?"

I shook my head, indicating that we had already eaten lunch. "No, we're good," I assured her.

My mom then directed us to the living room, where my dad, Milan, and Yasmin were seated. Zane and I greeted them and took our seats on the opposite side of the couch. It was clear that a family meeting was about to take place.

My mom took the lead and addressed the room. "So, from what I've heard," she began, her tone serious, "you two," she pointed at my dad and Milan, "made a deal with Zane and Savannah to hurt Amari years ago."

My dad shook his head, a pained expression crossing his face. "We didn't mean to hurt her," he admitted. "It was meant to keep her safe."

Confusion and frustration filled me. "Is Zane in the mafia or something?" I asked, annoyance lacing my words. "Why did you feel the need to protect me from him?"

My dad let out a deep sigh, his eyes filled with regret. "You can hate me all you want, but I did it because I wanted to keep my little girl safe," he explained. "When Milan told me about Zane's feelings for you, I immediately went into dad mode. I didn't want some stupid boy to cheat on you, break your heart, and make you run away pregnant for..."

My mom cleared her throat loudly, interrupting my dad's words. "Uhmm, you're getting carried away, Vasilios," she interjected, her voice firm.