A Burried Past

Sirdan and Rajeem started walking towards the front door of the place they had been staying for who knows now how long, The Emerald Beetle was indeed the best inn in Evermist, its food, drink, accommodations, and service were definitely well curated, which is why the odor of death and rot confused Rajeem on their way out but there wasn't time to investigate, the still confused Sirdan was leading the way towards somewhere he wasn't sure, as he tried his best to recall what had transpired the hours the other man had been recovering from a nasty wound that almost cursed him with lycanthropy.

— Can you tell me where are we going? — Rajeem insisted, starting to lose patience, but the smell of their other companions was leading them to confusing paths.

— I... I turned into a goat at the butcher's house... then... the butcher... oh! the butcher killed Susana, and another blood hunter, we found a silver blade on the first floor, then on the second a pentagram where we found Susana's body, and chained to the wall was another woman, we know it was a blood hunter because of the necklace she had, someone recognized it... and then... we heard steps and Eillrath went downstairs and we heard her scream and she was fighting with a creature, well it was the butcher but he was twisted and disgusting and he was beating the shit out of all of us, and you know Evan? he stood and ran to attack the monster, I didn't know that doll could do that! — Verbal vomit could be the best way to describe Sirdan's way of getting Rajeem up to speed, though it was so much information that it was hard to understand his way of talking and taking in that much information.

— So, we're going to the butcher's home, right?

— Y-yeah I think so...

Rajeem sighed at that response and just continued to quickly make their way to said place, the town was slowly coming back to life since it was very early in the morning as a couple of guards eyed them up and down as they beelined towards the seemingly abandoned butcher's home.

—Sirs you cannot go there, it's a crime scene. — one of the guards with ill-fitting armor called out to them.

— What happened? we're looking for our companions that were doing an investigation at this place. — The tall pale man approached them cautiously

— We just escorted them to Prembul the undertaker, they were going to bury one of theirs... or yours, I guess... sorry for your loss. — the other guard replied awkwardly before they continued their way.

hearing this was enough to make Rajeem run out of patience, he placed a hand behind Sirdan's head and whispered to stay still, as his hands started to shift and grow blue scales and dark blue claws replaced his nails, a pair of wings sprouted from his back this was enough boost to get quickly back to their friends.

It was a cold evening as they sat around the graveyard, still and silent, only the rhythmic sound of a couple of shovels digging and tossing dirt filled the piercing silence, Evan'geline was sitting aside looking towards the hills, waiting for Sirdan and Rajeem to appear, as she cradled Evan with a slight shakiness to her hands her mind went back to her memories.

— Father, could you at least explain to me what is going on? I haven't seen or heard from any of you for over two years and now you want me back? — I stubbornly stomped my way in front of him right before we arrived at what I called my childhood home.

— Child there's so much for you to learn, but that is not one of the things I'll teach you, perhaps as I share my knowledge you'll make your own conclusions. — He said calmly but I could see the hint of frustration behind his eyes.

I finally gave up and followed him as he opened the front door and almost shyly went inside, to be honest, I was expecting a surprise party for no reason, a -we're sorry we abandoned you- celebration, but the small living room was empty and silent, after a few minutes of looking around I saw Odie, my little brother walk out of a room and looking at me utterly confused, then something about my dad's expression made him change his demeanor and shyly waved my way, he seemed so big now, when I left home he could barely understand how to sit or crawl.

I just silently walked towards the room my sister and I shared and just stared for a bit, the room had only one bed in the middle next to a wooden box that made as a make-shift bedside table, I tried not to jump to conclusions, but my father seemed necessary to fill in the blanks. — Lottie got married and left about six months ago. A gentleman was visiting Emeril, liked her, and asked for her hand. He seemed somewhat wealthy so I agreed and he took her to a town past the Emerald lake.

Well, that was much worse than I thought...

— You. agreed? YOU? and what about her? What about mom? Where's mom? — I started to get red in the face out of pure anger.

— She's been out of town for a bit with a difficult name to please — He said softly. — I expect she'll be back soon to train your brother just as I'll train you.

— Father, that is offensively vague and I need you to tell me right now what is going on or I swear I'll leave and you'll never find me.

— Evangeline... — He sighed tiredly. — We are not properly human, we are something a bit more... complicated. — he began as I looked at him as if he were insane. — our family's ancestors come from an island long ruined and probably deserted by now called Revoneir.

As he started telling his story he sat down on the bed leaving space for me, probably letting me know this way that this story was a long one, still I stubbornly stayed standing on the doorframe with my arms crossed and a deep frown.

He continued with a solemn face. — The people had old forgotten rituals and customs, and their ambition took them down a dangerous path, soon they learned how dangerous it was to mess with the forces of life, death, and the other planes of existence, and they managed to open a rift, a tear that they hoped they could use to go in, but instead something came out, and they were greatly punished for that. — he paused to look at me, a somewhat accusing look in his eyes that made me upset.

— What does that have to do with us? It was done years ago, and from what I know no one has ever pointed fingers at us or blamed us for anything. — I kept my stubborn mindset, despite being overall rational... I think.

My father sighed before continuing. —We are what you could say... cursed, from generation to generation we have to pass down our story and our burden to our children or the descendants of Revoneir because we tore a rift in the plane of dreams and now were cursed to protect the souls of the dead before they turned into monsters that would feed on other souls... that is why we go on long travels, some more dangerous than others, to fulfill their last request and help them pass over, that is our life Evangeline, and now it is yours as well. — he finished his story, rushed and abruptly, and as if I had no choice or say in this.

I was too stunned to talk, and after a few minutes of processing I remember my gaze turning dark as i view this as a death sentence of my free will, — I will never do to my child what you did to me, but by all means, share the rest of your so-called wisdom, so you can die in peace knowing you cursed your own family, do that quick so I can enjoy my lasts days of individuality and freedom. — I remember shouting through uncontrollable tears.

Through the memories, Evan'geline didn't notice how her eyes were filled with tears just like that day she was condemned to be a servant to lost souls, and it was the presence of Rajeem approaching that made her snap out of it and just rushed to the man and wrap him in a hug, and just pour her eyes out.

— I will never forgive myself for not being there when all of you needed me. — he said in his soft voice that usually melted her like a candle on a bonfire but now it was just a warmth that she desperately needed.

—You are here now.— was all she could say.