Epilogue

It had been what? a month, two? since we started our mission in this town, thinking we'd just visit for a couple of days, make some coin, and then leave without making any lasting connections, yet there we were, laughing at our patron's expense, making gifts to each other, scolding each other for each other's wellbeing, caring, loving, sharing... when would we learn that this only ends up in hurt in an adventurer's life? We live fast and die faster, we only love those close to us even though we try not to, but it is hard... gods be damned it is so hard, there's something special when you fight back-to-back with someone, when you protect someone, when you think you're dead and then open your eyes and the first thing you see is that someone you're trying to keep at a safe distance, but who am I kidding? I couldn't stay away, especially when fate puts him again and again in front of me, all I can do is smile and forget about life for a while.

The four surviving members of the recently created party known as "The Wrath" walked back into Evermist, not with their tails between their legs, but not triumphantly either, they just walked, two joking and overly excited because they both got a kind of unexpected second chance. Two relieved but solemn and silent, Evan'geline kept clutching Evan close to her chest seeking both comfort and distraction since Rajeem, to her eyes kept fuzzing over her. She tried not to show how much this affected her or how much him walking beside her feel more alive than winning the battle against the monster in the cave, but her cheeks were red, she couldn't hide it, but at least he had the decency to do as if he didn't notice, they stayed like this for a few minutes, just enjoying the air and the smells the town had to offer, prolonging their arrival to the emerald beetle, for their arrival had a sense of goodbye none of them were ready to give, nor were they going to admit this.

It was then and there, right after they stepped foot past the intricate golden door, right when Sirdan said — Well.— when a huge explosion made the very earth beneath their feet shake, and when they turned there it was, a huge blood-colored pillar of light or absence of it, shooting into the sky far beyond their eyes could see, accompanied by terrified screams and commotion, the group ran outside confused only to curse when they noticed where the red pillar was shooting out from.

— The butcher's home, the ritual he was doing... we never... — Started Rajeem.

—No... we never stopped it! — continued Abel.

— Should we get a closer look? — Evan'geline stepped outside hesitant.

— Watch out! — Screamed Sirdan when from behind the woman came a twisted humanoid limping and flailing while making a horrible gurgling sound, ready to bite whoever was closest, he pushed her aside and kicked it on the chest with enough force to make it stumble back.

And then, as if the world had been on pause for them came alive again, or in this case... undead.