A Hard Stop

The group continued their way back to the Emerald Beetle, the place where they had been staying ever since all this mess started and maybe even a bit before they could remember, since they all became aware of the memories they lost about arriving at Evermist, at least Evan'geline, Abel, Sirdan and Eilrath, as they all walked in some only thinking of going to sleep and lick their physical and emotional wounds someone had a few more thoughts in mind, that someone stepped before her friends as before they could go upstairs.

- Hey! Before you go, I was thinking... Remember how they keep on asking us what we call us, our association, our group?

- Yes, they asked us that the first time Farnobius paid us, what about it? - Sirdan asked with his head cocked like a confused stray dog

- Well... I'm pissed, furious, and want to bring back that butcher so I can kill him over and over again slowly. - She said in a way that probably perturbed the others, although Rajeem didn't bat an eye.- Ahem, I know you feel like I do in some way shape, or form... and I'd like to carry Eilrath's name with us wherever we go, so... what about The Wrath, sounds like her name, and shows how we feel about her passing. - that moment, it didn't need more words, there was a twinkle in Rajeems eye, the saddest nod from Abel, a melancholic drunken smile from Sirdan, and a crossed-armed approval from Joseph, Evan'geline looked at them all with a soft sad sigh and walked towards a table, - I'm going to drink something if any of you care to join.

To her surprise, Sirdan said that he was going to sleep, which worried her, and also Abel who went with his old friend upstairs as well, Joseph also declined and sat his beary ass on the stairs to sulk on his own which only left Rajeem, he sat beside her to her left, since on the chair to the right she had sat evan down, he already knew that she always did that. Evan'geline smiled softly at him and leaned into the table with her cheek resting on her palm.

- We have to stop meeting like this Jeem. - She joked and he let out a tired laugh.

- You don't really mean that though. - He looked at her the particular way he did as if saying -I know you inside and out- which drove her crazy because, to her, he didn't, but she wanted him to.

- I mean, really, I know you insist on traveling solo, but... yours isn't a solo act Jeem, neither is mine, so would it be so terrible... to... to stay together? - she bit her lip at the implication underneath, she knew she was so obvious, she wanted him, she had bumped into him, fallen for him, forgotten him, and bumped into him again. Over and over the cycle repeated, more times than she could count, and she was done with this game of cat and mouse.

- It's not that easy Evangeline, look how much we are suffering for Eilrath, do you want to put yourself through that again?

- To suffer is to live Jeem, and to hold back on life because of fear of suffering is to be dead while breathing, I'm done with that, aren't you? Why are you so afraid of getting close? - she insisted leaning a bit closer to him, her words so sincere that she was afraid her eyes would tear up any second, but she muster the courage to continue, - I know there are things you're not telling me, I know you keep a lot hidden and you don't have to tell me ok? but...- she looked at Evan and sighed - Remember when we met? that you thought I was insane because I insisted on treating him as a person, then you thought it was part of my act and then decided just to not question it? - He nodded - You're smart enough to know now there's more to it... to my connection with him, you see...

And so I'm finally telling him, why am I doing this? I don't know, maybe I'm feeling vulnerable, maybe this is the moment to tell him, to tell him I love him and that I just need him to know, but instead decided to share with him a story I had told no one, and now that I think of it, how sad and lonely am I, that the most awful, important and traumatizing things that had happened to me have been kept to myself. Not even told to my Patron and bound soul, yes of course, he is my friend but still, there's a line of respect that doesn't allow me to hug him if I'm scared or look for comfort when I'm sad, and even these two years we've been together we've kept this unspoken rule to not pry on each other's pasts, he gets angry if I do it and doesn't asks me anything to set an example, and here I am, about to puke out a story, but it is too late now.