Uncomfortably Paused

- I don't think you should... where have I heard that before? - Evan'geline murmured to herself as she gave her best friend, patron, instrument, and bound soul, Evan the ventriloquist dummy a look. even though he was a wooden doll she could feel his smile at her comment.

- I know you are really interested in that subject but I don't think you should. - said my now... husband, who once was a mentor, a known archaeologist, and a respected member of our little town now became a pariah, all for having taken such a young wife being 20 years her senior.

And me? hidden away like a forgotten book, kept from going outside to even get some air, all in fear that someone would "steal me" or as I called it in my mind, save me. He was kind to me. I have to accept that, but I didn't want kindness, I wanted love, to love someone! even if they didn't love me back... funny how that wish was going to come back and bite me.

I really cannot say for how long was I married, the days melted into weeks and the weeks into months and I just tried to ignore time, which was hard since biweekly my parents would come to visit, both to try to see me, to which I always refused, especially after a little conversation I caught between my father and Mr. Facilier, and yes I still called him that out of spite.

- So, how is she behaving? Is she being a good wife to you? We tried to raise her the best we could but you see how she is. - Mr. Ray Neigor, my father, asked casually as if talking about a faulty chair he sold to a friend, at least that's how it sounded to me, in hindsight, it might've been that I was so resentful towards him that everything he did felt like an attack towards me, but I feel like a can't be blamed for that.

- She... she is something else, Insisting on callin' me by my last name and is like adding oil to water every time I try to get close. - The old man I called husband admitted with awkwardness but that conversation was going to get so... so much worse.

-Don't tell me you haven't... consummated the marriage... you know what we are Keith... we need to continue our bloodline. - Ray started ranting as Mr. Facilier tried to make him lower his voice because for some reason he could feel my furious presence, but it was too late, I heard it all and was marching downstairs with my hands twitching until they became fists.

- Oh we HAVE you... You monstrous mirage of a human! you unnatural mockery of a father, I despise you... loathe you and wish I never have to be in your presence ever again! And mark my words... I will never pass on this curse you imposed on me, and if I have to live forever because of it then so be it, because only an eternity will be enough time to hate you. - I'm not sure what came over me, but I yelled at him so hard and as I advanced words were accompanied by a punch straight to his nose, he looked hurt... badly and I really didn't punch him that hard, but I wasn't done yet, I was seeing red so my next victim was my husband. - And YOU! Ever since I was a child you were planning on taking me as your... wife? What is your damage? you're disgusting, I get sick every time I remember that cursed wedding night, you inch of a man, you minuscule pathetic maggot! not even having you torn apart and thrown separately on the seven hells will be enough! I'm sure not even the demon lords would allow such disgraceful human waste as yourself in their kingdom... I hope you DIE with no one to mourn you, I hope you die over and over for every night you made me lay with you. - I hissed at him with tears that felt like fire burning my cheeks.. and I saw... I saw how he stepped back and the light from his eyes went out as his body collapsed.

- Evangeline, what have you done!? - My father barked and tried to grab me by the arm.

- I took back my life. - I said as I dodged and went upstairs to gather my things and leave Emeril forever.

Before she could understand what she was doing, Evan'geline was in the downstairs room opening a glass case and taking a strange ancient-looking gold necklace and Evan's voice encouraging her.