v. no war

v. no war

[warning: none]

[present: normalpast: italics]

[present: normal
past: italics]

"I spoke to my contacts in the other Realm" said Saul, as the trio entered Farah's office, "There have been no other sightings"

"Thank god" said Naida.

"So that means ours was just a fluke." sighed Farah.

"But it's a dangerous one" said Naida sharply, exchanging a look with Saul when Farah turned away from them.

"The Capitals prison is more secure then ours, and the Queen would scan its memories if you asked her" said Saul cautiously.

"This is my school Saul" said Farah, and Naida rolled her eyes.

"Yes it's a school" sighed Saul, "And there's already gossip"

"For once, he's right" added Naida, "It's only a matter of time before one of the students - probably Sky or Riven, knowing them - crosses the barrier and puts themselves in danger"

"Please Farah, lets do this the right way" begged Saul, "Let me make arrangements with Queens Guard to transport the Burned One safely"

"It's done" said Saul, entering Naida's classroom, where she was marking some papers, "Arrangements have been made, they'll be here early tomorrow"

"Who's leading it? Marco?"

"I am" he said cautiously.

"No you're not" she said instantly, looking up and glaring at him.

"None of them have ever seen a Burned One" argued Saul, "Marco included, they need my experience"

"Then let me come with you, like the old days" 

"Nah, I need to know you're safe"

"And I need to know that you're safe" she shot back.

"Can we not argue about this?"

"I don't want you going out there... I can't loose you too"

"And you won't" said Saul, cupping her face in his hands, "I promise"

"You can't promise that, you know you can't" she whispered, placing her head on his chest.

"Dis you know Sky is talking to Stella again?" he asked.

"I'm sorry, what?" she exclaimed looking up to him.

"Yeah, spotted them during training this morning, tried to lecture him but he was lecturing himself"

"I've got to go" she said, going to leave the classroom but being stopped by Saul.

"You can't protect him forever" Saul said.

"I can damn well try" she argued, "He's too good to have been hurt like that"

"He needs to make his own mistakes, it's part of growing up" said Saul gently, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I'm his mum" she said weakly, "It's my job, this world is such a scary fucking place, and he's such a good kid, with such a good heart - I don't know how he'll get through it"

"We did, we got through it" he said, "But you're not talking about Stella anymore, are you? The Burned One?"

"I can't... I won't have him growing up the same way did - constantly worried and scared of a war and being a solider when he's meant to be a kid"

"But there's no war, love" he said softly.

"But there could be, and I know my son - he'll find his way into the middle of it"