ix. the people that matter

[warnings: grief]

[present - normal

[present - normal

past - italics]

"Does he seem worse to you?" Naida asked Farah, as Saul struggled to get up.

"Naida - "

"You're right, that's a stupid question - he's gonna keep on getting worse, until we kill the Burned One that attacked him"

"You're not killing anything" said Saul pointedly, turning around to face the pair, "The Battalion's gonna handle it"

"None of the know what they're facing" said Ben from the corner of the staff room, sounding uncharacteristically dark.

"Well it's bright in here" said Zeke, he was one of the Specialist teachers - the first teacher they'd employed since Farah became Headmistress. It was weird, having to work along side someone you barely know, especially when you didn't have to get to know them - but, Naida noted, it must have been weirder for Zeke and all the teachers that came after him.

"We were just talking 'bout the training -" Saul started.

"Don't lie to me" said Zeke sharply, "I'm not asking you to trust me, or talk to me the way you guys talk and trust each other - but don't lie to me"

"Sorry Zeke" said Naida softly, "Force of habit"

"Yeah" he said softly, "I only came because I thought Silva wanted to see the after lesson training"

"Yeah, I do" said Saul, grunting as the moved to grab his staff, and followed Zeke out of the room.

"He's running out of time" said Naida, sounding as though she was about to cry, "I can't loose him too"

"And you won't" said Farah determinedly, wrapping her arms around Naida, who started sobbing into her shoulder.

◖◇◗

"How bad is it?" asked Sky walking into the greenhouse, as Naida helped Saul put his top back on, and the two adults exchanged worrisome looks with each other "Has Ben upped your dose of Zanbaq? I thought you said it would keep the wounds at bay, until -"

"Until it can't anymore" finished Saul bluntly, trying to get up with a hand on Naida's arm.

"I can run the first year spars, and you can take a break while the Battalion keeps looks. What's the progress?" started Sky, pacing back and forth.

"They've tracked it 40km North of Alfea, and they'll engage it soon" explained Naida, brushing a hair out of Saul's face.

"Will they - "

"I have every belief they'll complete the missions - they'll kill it" said Saul, the sharpness he'd intended not being very effective due to the hoarseness and meekness of it, "The only questions is when" his voice had gotten softer.

"What do you mean?" Sky asked, frantically looking between Saul and his mum.

"The infection's spreading quickly" said Naida, her voice barely above a whisper, "And when it reaches his heart..." she couldn't finish.

"How long do you have?" said Sky sharply, worry laced in his voice.

"I don't know... I don't - not long" said Saul, trying to avoid Sky's eyes.

"So what are we gonna do?"

"I've spoken to my seconds for the plans for your training, and me and your mum have spoken 'bout you're future" started Saul, and Naida felt a tear trickle down her cheek.

"I asked you a question?" said Sky, and for a second Naida was taken back by how similar, yet how different, the two were.

"And I've answered it" said Saul, glancing at Naida when she came to stand next to him, "Solder's need to have these conversations with the people that matter - and for me that's you and it's your mum... we make a plan Sky, that's all we can do"

"There must be something else, I already lost one father, please Saul - I can't loose another"

Saul looked away, "I'll keep you updated"

"Yeah" said Sky, walking out aimlessly.

"Saul" said Naida softly, as the door shut behind Sky.

"Oh god, I'm actually dying" he said, before his shoulders wracked with sobs.

"Oh love" said Naida softly, pulling Saul into her, muffling his cries.

"I don't... I don't wanna die" and in the moment they were ten again, with no knowledge of death or grief - with every feeling being raw and real, the armour that built up over the years crumbled and they both sunk to the ground.

And that's how Ben found them, on the floor in the middle of the greenhouse, a ball of arms, legs and sobs. Clinging to each other as though the world would end if they let go - and for them it would. Because if Naida could hold on to Saul, that means he was still there and if she left... he wouldn't.

[holding hands while the walls come crumbling down]
[everybody wants to rule to world]