vi. not so 'older brother' spiel

v. not so 'older brother' spiel

[warning: tough love teaching??]

[present - normalpast - italics]

[present - normal
past - italics]

"Are you asking me on a date?" Naida asked surprised.

"That depends - if I was, what would you're answer be?" said Andreas cockily.

"Well Andi... in this hypothetical situation... I guess my answer would be... yes" said Naida, looking up at him through her blond fringe.

"You guys make me sick" said Rose, from where she was standing - waiting for Andreas, so they could go to training together, "If you wanna fuck, plan a date and do it - simple as, come on Andreas, or sir's gonna kill us, and Roz is gonna kill you Naida"

"She's gonna kill you if you keep calling her Roz" said Naida, glancing around nervously.

"Meh, walls don't have ears" said Rose, grabbing Andreas' arm and dragging him away, "Come on lover boy"

"Bye Naida" shouted Andreas, as Rose pulled him away.

"Bye" whispered Naida, feeling the heat rush to her face.

◖◇◗

"You guys just made it" whispered Saul, as Rose and Andreas rushed into their places in line.

"Blame Andi" snapped Rose playfully.

"Don't call me Andi" growled Andreas.

"Oh I'm sorry, only Naida can do that - right?" said Rose, her amused gaze going back and forth between Andreas and Saul amused.

"What you talking 'bout?" asked Saul confused.

"Nothing"

"Lodge, Silva, Eraklyon" shouted Headmaster Jones, "Care to share?"

"No sir" they all muttered sheepishly.

"That's what I thought" he snapped, "Pay attention"

"Yes sir" they all said.

He's set them off to run drills in three's, and somehow Jones had let them go together.

"So what were you guys on about?" Saul asked them, circling his sword, and pointed it at them playfully.

"Naida said yes to a date" said Andreas excitedly. And Rose looked slightly amused at the older boys complete obliviousness of the jealously that the younger boy was feeling.

"Great" said Saul bitterly.

"I'm not gonna get some older brother spiel from you, am I?" asked Andreas playfully, looking slightly concerned at Saul's bad mood

"Yeah" said Rose sarcastically, "Older brother..."

"Naida's older then me" said Saul offhandedly, still keeping his focus on the ground - finding the blades of grass incredibly interesting.

"For all your collective talent" drawled Jones, coming up to the trio, "You all seem to do very little work" and suddenly he lunged at Saul, sword in hand. And Saul instantly reacted, pulling his out and defending himself. But then with a solid kick to the chest the boy went tumbling to the ground.

Andreas started laughing, gaining the attention of all the other students. Saul was still on the ground, rubbing at his chest.

"Do you want a go?" Jones said, turning towards Andreas, "I mean if Silva couldn't do it - could you?"

The students around them erupted in muffled giggles, and Andreas cheeks flushed, but he chose to stay silent, their whole class falling into an uncomfortable silence.

"Get up kid" said Jones, walking up to Saul and extended his hand to help him get up, "Just next time do the bloody work"

"Yeah sir" muttered Saul, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly, "Sorry sir"

"Good kid, good kid" said Jones, cuffing Saul around the head before turning to the rest of the class, "Back to work - all of you, now"

"You okay?" Rose asked, rushing to Saul once Jones had left, "Need the infirmary?"

"Nah, only thing hurt is my ego - that was fucking embarrassing" muttered Saul.

"Yeah it was" agreed Andreas, snapping at Saul.

"You're the one who laughed - don't blame me" said Saul bitterly.

"You're the one who was talking in the first place" scoffed Andreas, "Typical Saul - can never take responsibility"

"Fuck you Andreas" said Saul, but gave in and threw an arm around his friend - he was used to this, and if he got mad every time Andreas acted like a bastard they'd never stop arguing.

Rose was looking at the pair, and thought of Naida. The three of them were tangled together - and she was scared it would be Saul, the most undeserving of suffering among the three, who would end up being hurt.

[i'm not gonna lie, the past flashbacks aren't gonna be in chronological order - their gonna be kinda all over the place - sorry]