viii. jealousy

viii. jealousy

[warning: none]

[present - normalpast - italics]

[present - normal
past - italics]

"So, you and Saul..." asked Andreas, looking up from his book.

"Me and Saul?" asked Naida, smiling as she removed her pen from her mouth, it all being dented at the end from her habit of biting it.

"I don't know what I wanna ask... but like have you two... were you two..."

"Are you jealous of him?" she asked, amusement glinting in his eyes.

"Don't laugh at me" said Andreas, looking back down to the book on his bed, "Forget I said anything"

"No... look at me" said Naida, pulling herself into a sitting position, and lifting his chin up gently, "I love Saul that's true, but you have nothing to be jealous about."

"Does that mean you love me too then?" Andreas asked, and Naida sighed.

"Why does it always have to come back to this" she said, fiddling with a necklace, "It's not fair Andreas, we've been dating for two months, and have barely known each other a year. I've known Saul my whole life"

"I love you though" said Andreas, the two of them descending into the conversation that they'd had countless times before.

"That doesn't mean I have to" said Naida, "I care for you Andreas, I really do - but that's a step I'm not ready to take"

"But you've taken it with Saul" he protested.

"I've known Saul for sixteen years" she argued, "He's always been part of my life, of course I love him"

"So I do have something to be worried about then?" he said, scoffing before looking back down at his book.

"Don't be stupid" she protested, yanking the book from under him.

"Yeah, that's me... stupid" he muttered.

I wanted this chapter to be a insight into Andreas and Naida's relationship. And how they approach it, I always saw Andreas as being someone who fell in love quickly and hard once he'd allowed someone through the walls he's put up - without being able to understand why they couldn't do the same. Naida on the other hand, I always imagined as being more cautious and wary, and so while she's not got a hard exterior, she's aware of her softness and so she tries to protect it, and herself.

I also changed my fancast for Andreas from Stuart Broad to Young Leo. And while I do firmly believe that Stuart is the best young Andreas - he is a cricketer in the end and not an actor. And I'm in the middle of creating a Trailer type edit for this fic, so I was forced to change it, and after Stuart I thought Young Leo was the best option. Thought if you are a cricket fan, I think you'd understand why I think Broady would be a good fancast for Andreas - I love him, but when he was younger he definitely gave me andreas vibes, in a I'm an arrogant twat kinda way.