Chapter 6: Mirror

Alexander's mind remained a couple feet behind him, where she sat. He had seen his men sitting in the small coffee shop and although he didn't intend to stop in such a simple establishment, he wanted to see her again. Was it greedy of him? When he would see her in less than 24 hours anyway? Maybe. Yet that didn't stop him.

He could feel Claire's gaze burning through him as the easily annoyed brunette sat with her arms crossed besides her brother; Devin. While sitting, Devin still had a lot more height than his younger sister. Claire and Devin were virtually nothing alike, with the only commonality between them being their birth parents and the sad reality that their mother had passed away a long time ago. Although their parents had never married, they did co-parent to the best of their ability.

"Why are we here?" Claire drawled. She examined her perfectly manicured nails, but lifted her gaze only partially to look up from beneath her thick false lashes. Claire was a beauty to most men, but growing up with Alexander had somehow sullied her chances of being with him. The man viewed her more as a sister than a partner. Something she abhorred since her early teens, when they were all young, foolish, and surviving their boorish high school curriculum.

"Because we need to talk, not dine." Alexander answered stoically whilst clearing his throat. Throughout the years of knowing the Gulling siblings, he had many come to him admitting Claire's affection for him, but he never believed them. How could he? That was his best friend's little sister and he couldn't fathom anything beyond their platonic relationship.

"Yes, Claire, we need to talk." Devin butted in. "This is not a date. It would be odd if I were here." Devin gestured to himself.

"You can leave." She smirked. Her dark gaze acted as a cloak for the desperation that grew within her. With all of her, she wanted this to be a date with the man she adored since the young age of thirteen.

"Don't embarrass yourself. You know that he prefers me over you. I'm his best friend." Devin announced proudly while pointing at his own chest triumphantly.

Claire scowled at her older brother. "You're some brother."

"What can I say? I know what the man wants. Like silence and food." Devin laughed and shrugged. "Don't worry. Maybe one day, you'll become his best friend too." Claire rolled her eyes and crossed her arms yet again. She diverted her attention to the other side of the cafe and soon they fell back onto the unsuspecting curly headed woman. Claire wasn't blind. She could easily see that whomever that was had the type of beauty that Alexander wanted. Claire would describe it as anti-climactic, yet maybe that was her own pride.

"Who is she anyway?" Claire inquired. Her voice struggle to hold a nonchalant tone, but she kept her expression neutral.

"She is none of your concern." Alexander responded quickly with a tight smile. The business look had fallen back onto his features and Claire's stomach dropped. Anger settled onto her face, but it left as soon as it came.

Devin, who felt the uncomfortable tension rising at the small table, quickly raised his hand, signaling a waitress to make her way over. A young bleached blond woman walked on over with bright red lipstick coating her smile. She held a small notepad in her hand. The same hand that seemed to be quite shaky on its own. Devin rose an eyebrow in confusion and then realization dawned on him for the second time since he entered the cafe.

The young woman was gawking at Alexander. She stared at him for an awkward amount of time as her hand continued to shake lightly over her notepad. Claire had picked up on it too, but only rolled her eyes. This wasn't a new occurrence and she did not find this waitress to be of any competition. Her only competition sat across the cafe, being shielded by Alexander's men.