Chapter 19: Fine Without Him

A/N: Playlist: Found by Zach Webb (Play during Alexander's Part)

Arielle found herself praying longer than usual. Between her hardly rested mother, heartbroken friend, and overworked boss, she had a lot to pray for. Their safety remained a high priority. It was hard to even envision the life she had before she knew Alexander and the danger that came with knowing him.

Sometimes she would glance out her window, and for a moment, she'd see a car that looked out of place in their small, quiet part of the city. It's as though the trees and mountain view exposed them because of how strange it looked there, but she didn't focus on it too much. Her plan was simple, pray a lot and be wise.

The door handles and window sills were constantly covered by her fingerprints that skimmed them daily from her usual checks. Once, twice, and three times before bed. Never wanting to believe that she locked every entry way if she truly hadn't. Especially when the home occupied more than just herself.

Learning back in her chair, Arielle pulled her hair from her face into a high bun. It was sloppy at best, but the summer heat had only grown as the months went on and the sweat from her hairline was unforgiving. Keeping their bills low meant having only a weak fan to regulate her body temperature, but it was worth every penny saved.

Saved for something better for her mom and who ever else the Lord would place in her path to help.

Arielle scribbled the end of her letter to God, thanking Him for the many answered prayers, including Julia's healing.

Julia had cried less as time went on. Her eyes were no longer red and blotchy each day, retelling the tale of her tears, and her smile grew as the days went on.

The memories of the boy next door were soon forgotten and she was pleased to witness it. She didn't want her best friend's view of love to be tainted because of a love once passed.

Buzz. Her phone vibrated, pulling her from her thoughts.

She gently turned her head to the side, not wanting to move much, in case her body would be threatened her with more perspiration. Still leaning on the back of her chair, she glanced over at the brightened screen. Alexander's name was illuminated with a small image of him smiling back at her. An image she found on the company's website. It was very professional, but anyone looking would realize that his smile didn't reach his eyes.

"Susan requested that I tell you that she misses you and your mother dearly. She hopes to see you come by the office." He wrote.

"Hm," Arielle hummed. Susan's number had been saved early on. She wondered if her phone number had changed or been shut off.

"Tell her we will, Lord willing. :)" Arielle replied quickly, before plopping the phone back onto her desk.

That was another thing that she found herself smiling about more recently. Alexander spoke with her more casually, but never in a way that made her feel overwhelmed. She could see that they were beginning to form a friendship, even if it was mostly from afar.

"It's best that way," she whispered mostly to herself, but also thinking and talking to God. Being too close too soon, before God's timing, wouldn't be for the best. She would trust that He would help Alexander with all of his troubles, including his salvation.

She knew that in God's hands, a heart could turn from stone to softened and completely made new. God worked miracles.

She sighed and casually scrolled past his contact again. Maybe she would have a true smile, smiling back at her in the future.

Lifting her head to the ceiling, she began another, short prayer, "God please save him. In more ways that one." She spoke softly and found herself continuing.