Chapter 2 | Can You Keep a Secret?

October 18th, 2008

October 18th, 2008

Athena Roi, 11 years old

Children did not need to worry about the adult world. They thought only in the then and now, not the when and if. 

Her ghost-blue eyes peered down at the little girl creating a new world with gifted objects. The blocks represent walls, the carpet represents grass, and the mushrooms represent trees. With glee, Athena watched her younger sister.
She offered a fake pond to the younger girl, who took it excitingly. Her silky white hair dangled off her shoulders and pooled on the ground. River always had beautiful long hair, which Athena loathed for. To make up for this, she tends to her sister's hair as if it were her own.

"Vous aimez?" The squeaky voice of her sister broke her thoughts. 
[Do you like it?]

Athena grinned ear to ear. "Oui."
[Yes.]

River was overjoyed with her reaction. She presented some tiny fish to her elder sister before dumping them into the fake plastic pond.

She noticed her recent obsession with fish. Most of her toys were centered around fish or underwater scenes with mermaid dolls. Athena was beginning to imagine what River might become as an adult. Will she chase this dream or chase a new one?
Athena always loved to watch. She took in the emotions and expressions of others, analyzing them unconsciously. Helping people when they needed it was a joy she could never fully express. 

Artio hummed in her subconscious, reminding her of her presence. For three years, she has kept her existence secret under wraps. Perhaps it was her wolf's elder mind which made her so mature.

She fixed the tidy dress around her thin body. Athena wore a light blue-sleeved dress with white stockings. Mother always wanted them to look their best, regardless of age or activity. River wore an identical outfit to Athena.
River loves doing anything her older sister does. Athena found pride in how her sister wished to be like her, to follow in her footsteps and share the sights of the world. She couldn't imagine a reality without her dear sister always at her side.

Suddenly, all was no longer well.

Artio became agitated. It felt like the room had darkened, though River showed no sign of realization. The door to the children's bedroom creaked open, a large shadow dreadfully leaking into the once-alive room.
Athena peered up slowly. The light from the hallway was cast around the dangerous figure of a woman she knew too well. Her bright, curled white hair draped on her shoulders, pale white skin powdered in delicate makeup.

The woman pursed her red lips. Her eyes were a brilliant ruby, black pupils nearly in slits. Athena could only imagine the poor mood her mother must be in.

With her perceptive mind, she had memorized the smooth skin of her mother. There were no wrinkles, no dimples, and no marks. She felt inhumane. She felt like a doll. Athena knew her mother was a werewolf, but all mortals suffer from aging.