Chapter 5 | A New Name

October 22nd, 2008

October 22nd, 2008

Large paws padded across the cold autumn earth.

Delicate brown leaves wafted down to the earth around the large white body. Some landed atop the winter fur, only to roll off. Puffs of air could be seen from the wolf's mouth.

Tufts of white fur danced in the gentle, cold breeze. The morning sun had just graced the earth with her presence, which meant more traveling for the large white wolf. Her large head lazily hung low, her black nose twitching as she took in the morning scents.
The black bag she arrived in America with was wrapped around her neck. She found it was better to wrap it around her body and shift. It meant she didn't want to hold it in her maw all the time.

Artio has been plenty helpful. She tells her what is poisonous and what isn't, and she hunts food for them. 

Wandering the forest was a mixture of peaceful and frightening. The stillness of the wilderness was a lullaby-like none other, but any noise would alert her to a possible presence. 

Athena's current thought was stomped on as soon as a foul stench crawled into her nostrils. They clawed the delicate tissue fiercely, groaning with a stink worse than a rotting carcass. Her muzzle scrunched up in disgust.
Now alert, she raised her head and tail proudly to show she meant business. Artio immediately clued to this awful smell. "Ce n'est pas un cadavre." She whispered, "Rogues." Her wolf whispered an unfamiliar French word.
[This is not a corpse.]

Quickly, she explained. "Ce sont des loups malades sans meute." 
[They are sick wolves without a pack.]

That didn't sound good. Mauvaise nouvelle. She thought. Though, she couldn't help but wonder how Artio knew so much more then her.
[Bad news.]

Just as she thought that- three wolves lept out from the bushes: two grey and one dark brown. 

She noticed they were covered in old, untreated wounds. Scars messily sorted themselves into their matted fur. Uncertainty wormed into her heart, but Artio fought it off.

Her wolf forcibly took control. Her grey-blue eyes became a ruby red in a sea of murky yellow. They glared daggers at the trio of rogues. Artio dug her paws into the ground and lept at the wolves, who looked unsure of the upcoming fight.
She dug her teeth into the side of the head of the brown rogue. It screeched in pain, the other sickly ones running in to attack Artio. She kicked her hind legs into the ground and shoved the brown wolf out of the way before one of the grey ones could bite her.

A loud snap startled Athena, but Artio did not wait for her to digest what she just did.

Dirty maws sealed themselves on her back leg. She released a painful yelp. With enhanced anger, she spun around and met the neck of the assaulting wolf with fury.