Chapter 25 | Promise Me with a Kiss

Artio cooed in excitement

Why did it take River, and only River, to convince her to apologize to Cronus? Why couldn't she have done this on her own?

"Because we're struggling." Her wolf's voice broke through her mind.

The wind blew through her fur- wavering and making strands dance as she'd leap over roots and speed around trees. 

She wasn't... struggling.

"We've been struggling ever since that flight to America."

Riot didn't have anything to argue against that. She didn't like thinking that she had downfalls- no one does- but she was seeing her wrongs in a better light. Riot always knew leaving Cronus was a big mistake- but she's seeing... more.

She shouldn't have been rude to him.

She shouldn't have denied him as soon as they met.

She shouldn't have... left him.

"Maturity is beautiful to wittness."

Now she was pushing it. Her muzzle scrunched up with a scoff, and Artio only responded with the silent glee of her emotions. 

She'd turn, swerving around the forest, until the connection she was chasing was as strong as it's ever been. It tied her to a small cabin surrounded by an old fence. The chimney spat out grey smoke. He was in there.
Riot was actually standing there. Her usual confidence and bravery stood proud against the storm- but fear loomed in her heart. It told her to run away. But she wasn't driven by that fear anymore- she knew how to fight it.

Unexpectantly- the door to the cabin flew open.

There he was.

He wore black briefs and a dark brown silk robe. The curves of his exposed muscles made her ache- curving her eyes down their trails and curves like a hypnotic spell.

When her eyes met his- she couldn't help but notice his reddened eyes and irritated nose. He's been crying.

Riot's ears pulled back in remorse.

He pursed his lips- adam's apple bobbing as he'd clench his fists. "Please..." His voice shook, desperation obvious. "Please shift."

Cronus shook his head, "I'm begging you."

To think she's broken him to the point of pleading. Oh- what has she done to this poor man?

Her skin crunched and bones broke- an ugly sound that appeared to be music to his ears. His eyebrows rose as high as the hope in his heart. He'd take a small step out the door.

She rose from the ground as herself. The sun reached high enough for it to be nearly mid-day, reflecting off her pale skin and morning breeze tustling her short hair. He'd stumble out further- "P-Please..." He kept begging.