Chapter 9 | The Diner's Guardian

March 24th, 2013

March 24th, 2013

Cronus Lycoris

The taller man led the muscular woman down the sidewalk. His hands rested lazily in his pant pockets, and his shoulders and arms relaxed comfortably.

Behind him, Riot was still following. He only needed to use his nose to know she was there; she smelt amazing.

Riot smelt like the rainforest. Wet bark, cut grass, and the soft breeze lull scents from the depths into your nose. Cronus had heard stories of the scent of your mate- but experiencing it first-hand was nothing like talking about it.
The pair approached a small diner. He visited it with his grandmother, and it was a lovely establishment. Going to these places kept him humble, like someone constantly tugging on a balloon about to waft into the clouds.

To say his parents were wealthy would be an understatement. 

He grabbed the handle of the glass door and pulled it open. Cronus politely gestured for Riot to go in first, which made her quietly scoff. She was adorable.

He first noticed the numerous stares on Riot when they walked in. He expected jealousy to swell in his stomach- but he only felt pride. They gawked at the goddess that was his mate, a tall, muscular woman.

His mate leads him to an empty booth. He slides into it, but she stops before lowering herself. He raised an eyebrow at her, lips parting to question her reluctance, but he followed her stare. 

Riot furrowed her brows at seeing a teenage girl standing beside a karaoke in the diner. The girl was adverting his gaze and shrinking into the corner from an equally young boy leaning over her. His victorious stare only made her shrink more.
Cronus watched his mate clench her fists and flex her jaw. Raising her shoulders and chin, she sauntered straight toward him. Riot carelessly shoved someone out of the way on her rampage toward the teen girl and boy.

She slapped her hand on his shoulder and spun him around. His eyes were wide, but they narrowed when they landed on her. 

"Geez, that impatient for my time?"

Riot jabbed a finger into his chest. "Not even the fucking rats out back want your time." She hissed through a thick accent, "Walk away before things get nasty, fucker."

He raised an eyebrow at her, which made her continue. "I'll drown you out back in the fucking dumpster. Walk away." She jabbed a rough finger into his chest again.

The boy laughed at her. He swatted her finger away, "That's real cute, dear, but I don't take threats lightly."

He gasped when she took a fistful of his letterman jacket and yanked him toward her. "I don't make threats." She spat in his face, "I make fucking promises." Riot scowled. She lifted him into the air effortlessly and continued her assault.
"I'm sure you'll still be grinning when I rip each nail off your nasty fucking paws." She snarled, "I'm feeling pretty slow today. Promise I won't take up too much of your time, though, dear." Riot's deadly eyes bore into his soul.