Chapter 36 | Grief

A choir of grieving howls rung throughout the rainforest

Numerous high-ranking werewolves and wolves who knew the gamma closely gathered atop a hill.

The hill was named Gamma's rest. Many graves throughout the centuries had been dug on this hill. The largest grave sat against the willow tree, the first gamma set to rest hundreds of years ago.
Brand-new yellow flowers were set on the graves respectfully, though most of them were set on a coffin. Whoever was not in wolf form was dressed entirely in black. A woman hugged the coffin, hopelessly sobbing and trembling onto it.

River tentatively approached the mourning woman. She wore a black ankle-height lapel neck dress. Her normally long white hair was done in a neat, tight bun.

She gently rubbed the shoulders of the woman, who was Elizabeth. Her belly was obviously larger and bloated.

Elizabeth looked up and wrapped her arms around the she-wolf- her face covered in running mascara. She trembled and cried, nearly screaming.

The only sounds were the loud sobs of a grieving mate.

Riot hugged herself, wearing tight, formal black pants and a black blouse. She rubbed her arms uncomfortably while holding a bouquet.

Cronus would've hugged her, but he respectively stood alongside her with his arms behind his back. Coddling his mate would only hurt Elizabeth more- and that's the last thing she needed right now. The poor woman.

The elder sister frowned in thought.

"I never..." She'd whisper, "I never got to apologize."

The alpha male shifted to look at her with a frown, eyebrows furrowing. He seemed to know what she meant.

Two gammas died because of her insolence. 

She stepped forward, quietly setting her flowers on the coffin. She pressed a hand against the wood, "I'm-" She'd stutter, "I'm so sorry." Riot whispered, "I wish I could say it to your face."
Cronus stepped up, pressing a hand to the coffin. "Reality can't be changed." He muttered, "I'll miss you, Marcus. You're the best ride-or-die I've ever had." His expression was unchanging- staying strong for the people around him- but his eyes were cloudy with emotion.

Riot closed her eyes before stepping away. "Rest peacefully."

The pair walked away from the mourning wolves.

Once they got far away, she covered her face with her hands and began to whimper and sob into them. Cronus rested his hands on her shoulders- pulling her into his chest and quietly whispering sweet nothings.

"Know it wasn't for nothing." He muttered, "If it weren't for Marcus- River would've died."

She continued to whimper, "It feels-" She sniffled, "-So cruel."

"But who was the woman who healed River? The wolf?"

Finally- Riot asked the question that was surely on everyone's mind.

"She just- disappeared." The she-wolf held onto his black suit jacket, clenching it hard. "Who was she?"

The woman had appeared randomly and suddenly. The white wolf alongside her was glowing slightly blue before it simmered away. Her appearance was recognizable- just like the paintings covering the walls in her childhood home.

The only difference was her white and grey eyes, identical to a full moon.

He studied her- emerald eyes looking over her features and memorizing them all over again. "I have an idea."

"What if it was the Moon Goddess and Luna?"

Riot furrowed her brows- smearing away tears with the back of her hands. "... How?" She whispered, "Why?"

"That's a question for the Goddess." He'd mutter- pressing a warm kiss to her forehead.

She felt soothed by him- holding him tight and pressing her nose into his chest. "Whatever it may be..."

"I hope the moon will Grace us with her blessing."