6

CHAPTER 6

"You spend so much time with that Sully child nowadays." Ronal was tying 'Kanu's hair up into a tight bun one morning.

"I spend time with all of them," 'Kanu told her.

"You should see your other friends as well," Ronal stated, finishing off her hair.

"I saw Wotxma this morning," 'Kanu grumbled, trying to tell her mother that she did spend time with her old friends as well.

The Tsahik smiled, "Wotxma is a nice boy. Don't distance yourself from him."

'Kanu nodded and turned to look at her mother. Ronal was alright with having the Sully's there, but she was still wary about her children spending so much time with them. They did teach them, but lately 'Kanu had gone out of her way to spend time with them.

"They are one of us now, mother," 'Kanu said, "They need friends. The other villagers are wary of them."

Ronal sighed and stroked her daughter's hair, "I know," she told her, "I do not wish for you to be left out because you spend time with them."

"That won't happen," 'Kanu said, "Soon the other kids will accept them."

Ronal smiled and pat her cheek, "Intelligent one." 'Kanu also smiled. It was the meaning of her name - smart, intelligent. She didn't feel like she was either of those, but her mother would often remind her that there was a reason why she'd been given the name.

The Tsahik always told her that the minute she had laid eyes on her - when 'Kanu had been brought to them - she knew she would grow up to be smart. It was why she had given the nameless child the title 'Kanu.

"'Kanu!" Aonung appeared at the opening of their home, "We are going hunting. Join us."

'Kanu glanced at her mother, who nodded. She smiled and got to her feet, grabbing her crossbow from where it leaned against the wall. She hurried outside to join her brother and their friends.

"'Kanu!"

'Kanu ran over to her friend, "Wotxma," she grinned and jumped out of the way as he attempted to yank her tail.

"I did not bring her over just so you two could make me sick," Aonung told the two.

They both laughed before following the rest of the group into the water. 'Kanu called an ilu and was swept away when she took a hold of the handle.

Hunting was always a blast for the young Metkayina. It was time they got to spend together and have fun.

When she came back to the surface to talk to her friends, she saw a familiar boy at the shore.

"Neteyam!" She waved. The others turned to look at what she was waving at.

Aonung groaned, "You won't invite him to join us, will you?"

"Why not?" 'Kanu laughed as she beckoned for Neteyam to make their acquaintance. Neteyam smiled and ran into the water. He called himself an ilu just as he had been taught, and was soon swimming toward them.

"What's up?" He asked with a smile.

'Kanu closed the distance between them, "We are going hunting. Do you want to join us?"

Neteyam grinned and nodded, "Sounds fun!" He hadn't missed the looks he was getting from the others, but he chose to not care.

"Let's go then," Aonung said monotonously, obviously not happy that the forest boy would be tagging along.

'Kanu made her ilu swim in the same pace as Aonung, and she caught up with him, "Be nice."

"I always am," Aonung laughed and 'Kanu resisted the urge to push him off his ride.