9

CHAPTER 9

"Have you seen my brother?"

'Kanu opened her eyes to peer at the person who had blocked the sun. Out of her boredom she had wandered around the beaches before laying down and enjoying the subtle breeze. Her mind would have been at complete peace had she not been thinking of her brother. Her and him got into fights often - more often than any siblings in the entire tribe. Usually it was petty and useless, but 'Kanu still felt horrible after each tussle.

'Kanu could barely make out Neteyam's features as he stood against the sun, "I have not seen him," she propped herself up on her elbows.

Neteyam sighed and sat beside her, "He just disappeared."

Kanu smiled and turned her head in his direction, "You are so caring."

"I am the oldest brother. I have to be," Neteyam chuckled. 'Kanu's smile turned somewhat bitter and he furrowed his brows, "What is it?" He nudged her with his elbow, causing her to jokingly swat him away.

"My brother is not like you," she admitted after a dramatically heavy sigh.

"No one is like me," Neteyam agreed, trying to make her laugh again. It worked. "But your brother cares for you," he said in a suddenly serious tone, "It is tough love."

"I suppose," 'Kanu shrugged.

Neteyam grinned, "I can be your other brother," he offered, making 'Kanu smile as she admired the sky, "I'll take care of you," he told her.

'Kanu turned her head to look at him and chuckled at upon seeing his bruised up face, "That is nice of you," she said. Neteyam grinned at her in response before he averted his eyes, looking over the horizon with a thoughtful expression. "Your brother will find his way back." 'Kanu folded her arms behind her head and looked up at the sky. It was the beginning of eclipse - soon it would be dark.

"Yeah.." Neteyam agreed, "He better apologize to Ao'nung quickly so he makes it back for food time."

'Kanu looked at him, "Ao'nung?"

Neteyam nodded, "Yeah. He went to apologize to him."

'Kanu sat up straight. She'd seen her brother and their friends head outside the reef to hunt and she'd seen them return. Could Lo'ak have been with them? "I need to talk to my brother."

Neteyam's eyes followed her as she stood up, "What is it?"

'Kanu held her hand out to him, offering to help him up, "Come with me," she told him. Confused, Neteyam accepted her help and the two of them hurried back to the village to find her brother.

It was dark by the time they arrived at her home and 'Kanu found her brother sitting in a corner, looking nervous as he faced the wall.

She shared a look with Neteyam before walking over to him. 'Kanu took a hold of his shoulders and shook him - her intention being to scare him. Her brother yelped in surprise and whirled around to face her.

"'Kanu!" He exclaimed as soon as he saw her, "Do not do that! It is not funny!"

"Where is Lo'ak?" Neteyam stepped in front of him.

Ao'nung looked guilty as he stood up to face them both. "He knows something," 'Kanu said, "Spit it out!"

"We took him hunting.. outside the reef."

'Kanu stared mouth wide open at her brother. She knew he was petty, but was he truly that stupid?

Ao'nung scratched his neck, "We left him there - as a prank."