7

CHAPTER 7

"This means I understand, or got it," 'Kanu was teaching Lo'ak their sign language. In the past few weeks the boy had learned a lot. Ever since he mastered their breathing technique everything had come a lot easier to him. He had gained the confidence he'd lacked before.

Lo'ak mimicked her gesture, forming a fist above his chest with his left hand as he looked down simultaneously. 'Kanu smiled and nodded, "It is more formal. Like accepting orders," she told him and simply formed the fist again, "Without tilting your head down it is like responding to a friend."

Lo'ak formed the fist again, watching her while smiling. "Got it."

'Kanu laughed and nodded, understanding his trick. He'd simultaneously said he understood what she meant and that they were friends. Then, she lifted her hands to sign: "What did you eat today?" She asked without words to see how much he remembered.

Lo'ak smiled as he knew how to respond, "Fish."

'Kanu smiled and laughed again, "How are you liking your new home?" she gestured.

Lo'ak furrowed his brows in concentration. He was trying to understand her sentence. 'Kanu repeated it for him slower, taking breaks between each gesture. She'd learned to be much patient with him after that first time. Lo'ak kept his eyes glued to her hands but eventually he shrugged and groaned, throwing his head back in frustration.

"It is alright, Lo'ak," 'Kanu chuckled as she placed a hand on his shoulder.

Lo'ak grew nervous under her touch and he quickly shifted, causing her hand to fall off his shoulder. He made it seem like he had to cough to avoid hurting her feelings. "I never learn," he grumbled. 'Kanu sighed as he brought his knees up to his chest - she had noticed it was something he did often when he was sad or frustrated. "We learned this stuff yesterday!" Lo'ak said.

Lo'ak had turned away from her so 'Kanu moved to sit right in front of him, "We did," she nodded, "But Lo'ak, you cannot expect to be perfect overnight."

"Like you said, my siblings are better at learning that me."

"Hey," 'Kanu smacked the side of his head lightly - it was almost like a tap, "Do not bring that up. I said I am sorry."

Lo'ak looked shocked that she would hit him. Then he felt guilty - he hadn't said it to make her feel bad. He didn't want her to believe that he was a petty person.

"What I said is not true," 'Kanu told him, "I was trying to.. motivate you."

"But you were right," Lo'ak said, "You even took my brother hunting already."

'Kanu rolled her eyes. He sure was great at complaining and whining, "Stop being like a baby."

Lo'ak perked up, "I'm not being a baby."

'Kanu smiled, "Yes you are," she teased, "I cannot do anything! I am useless! I suck!" She mocked him, laughing as she did.

Lo'ak cracked a smile as well, though he tried to conceal it, "I am not like that!"

'Kanu gave him a pointed look, "Are you sure?"

"Of course!" Lo'ak stood up and she did the same. He tried to act annoyed but 'Kanu could tell he was having fun.

'Kanu laughed and started walking toward the water. She stepped onto something warm and smooth, so she lifted her foot to see what it was. A flat, small rock. The gentle waves had shaped it to be smooth over the years and the sun had warmed it up. She smiled as she picked it up. "Look at this," she said to Lo'ak as he approached.