20

CHAPTER 20

       A moment of silence passed as the situation sunk in. Neteyam was gone. Dead.

'Kanu could not believe she had witnessed his passing. She had never even seen anyone die - much less go out like this.

"Neteyam.." Neytiri whispered before all hell broke loose. She was crying and screaming as she mourned her son and Jake tried calming her. "Neteyam - Great mother," she wailed as she hugged her lifeless boy, "No, great mother," she sobbed.

Lo'ak let go of his brother, allowing his hands to drift away from the wound he had been adamant about keeping closed. He gazed down at his palms which were coated with his elder brother's blood.

'Kanu crouched back down after seeing Lo'ak's reaction, looking down as she felt her own tears fall down her face.

The human boy sat beside the family, disbelief on his face - as if he could not grasp this situation.

'Kanu's eyes landed on him and through her tears she looked at him with such hatred that if the boy had seen, he surely would blame himself for what had happened. He was the reason why the two brothers had remained on the ship. But still she could not entirely blame him for this.

Jake looked back at the ship, seeming to ponder something before he turned to Lo'ak, "Where are your sisters?" Lo'ak met his fathers gaze. "Your sisters. Where are they?" Jake asked with such authority that anyone would spit out all the knowledge they had.

"I don't know," Lo'ak responded.

"On the ship," 'Kanu spoke up, choking on her tears, "They are tied up on the ship."

"The - the moon pool," the human added, stuttering, "On the deck - there's a pool."

"What?"

The human stood up, pulling Jake's arm to get him to his feet, "Come on - I'll show you. Come, I'll show you!" He said, walking over to the edge of the water.

Jake stood up and tried pulling Neytiri away from Neteyam, "Come on. Let's go."

When Neytiri refused to leave her sons side, they had a short conversation within which Jake gave her the courage and strength she needed to save her daughters. After this, she got to her feet and walked over to her ikran, connecting their queues as she breathed deeply and steadily - preparing herself for what was to come. The fight for Neteyam was over now - he was in a a better place - but there were still her other children that needed her help. And she had to be strong for them.

Jake drew his eyes away from his wife, "Stay with your brother," he told Lo'ak.

"Dad - I want to go with you," Lo'ak said, standing up to face his father.

"You've done enough," Jake said gravely while turning his back to his son.

"Dad.." Lo'ak watched as his father walked away from him. He couldn't help but feel responsible for this all.

After witnessing this interaction, 'Kanu shakily got to her feet, but only to take a step closer to Lo'ak. When she placed a hand on his shoulder he seemed to break down.

Lo'ak turned around to wrap his arms around her in a tight hug. Slowly, 'Kanu lifted her arms to wrap them around him like a comforting blanket. Tightening her arms around him - she did not want to let go as they sat down, arms wrapped around one another.

As he felt her arms around him, Lo'ak felt safe. He felt as though he could cry and she would listen to all the unspoken words.

Even as 'Kanu saw the human, Jake and Neytiri leaving, they did not let go of each other.