12

CHAPTER 12

After the Tulkun arrived, it felt like nothing could bring down 'Kanu's spirits. She was so happy to finally have the Tulkun back with them. There was so much that had happened in her life that she couldn't wait to share with her friends. Not even the storm that came could stop 'Kanu from smiling.

Her mother had finally allowed the Sully children into their home and all the teenagers - along with Tuk - sat before the fire that was in the center of their pod. Tsireya and Ao'nung had joined them too - though Ao'nung was not really joining in on any conversation. He was just there.

'Kanu could see Lo'ak shooting her glances every once in a while, but it wasn't like before. Before this time, every now and then, she would catch him looking at her. But then he would blush and hurry to look away. Even now he did blush and avert his gaze, but there was something different. He seemed.. even more nervous than usual.

'Kanu looked at him questioningly, but instead of Lo'ak catching this look it was Neteyam who saw. He raised his eyebrows in question and 'Kanu merely glanced at Lo'ak, who was doing everything in his power to seem interested in the flooring of the marui pod. Neteyam snickered silently to himself and 'Kanu did the same - though unsure of what they were laughing at.

"It was magical!" Kiri was saying. The group had been talking about the Tulkun and how majestic they were, "I've never seen anything like it!"

"You'll see it a lot more," Tsireya smiled, causing Kiri to beam at her.

"I love the Tulkun," Tuk sighed dreamily and rested her chin on the palm of her hand.

As the conversation died down, 'Kanu spoke up, "How are you, Kiri?" She asked before she could stop herself. Immediately Kiri's expression fell and she looked down at the ground.

"I'm fine."

'Kanu grimaced as she had now caused awkward tension in the room. Tsireya decided to save her, "I really missed the Tulkun. Didn't you miss them too, Ao'nung?"

Ao'nung felt awkward being there, and he was slightly surprised to have been included in the conversation, "Yes. I missed them very much."

Just then they could hear the Tsahik and Olo'eyktan walking outside. They had not yet made it to the opening of the house and all they could see were their shadows on the walls.

"They cannot stay here any longer!" Ronal hissed at her husband.

Tonowari tried calming down his mate, "None of the villagers will tell them of their whereabouts."

Though neither of them had specified who they were talking about - it was obvious to everyone inside the pod that they were discussing Toruk Makto's family. The group had fallen silent, all their smiles slid off their faces as they unintentionally eavesdropped on this conversation.

"They are endangering not only our people, but the people of every tribe in the surrounding islands!" Ronal said, not sounding at all calmed down despite the leader's efforts.

'Kanu turned her head to look at the forest people inside the room. Kiri looked focused on what they were saying, Tuk seemed beyond confused, whereas Neteyam and Lo'ak hung their heads. The two of them looked guilty. 'Kanu reached her hand over to squeeze Lo'ak's hand comfortingly. This did not go unnoticed by Ao'nung, who glared at their hands - yet he did not say anything for the sake of going undetected for as long as possible.

Lo'ak met her eyes and 'Kanu could see the surprise in them. Instead of gazing back at him - which she would have gladly done had the situation been any different - she turned her eyes to the fire as she listened intently to her parents argument.