23

CHAPTER 23

       For Na'vi, death was not the end. It marked a new beginning. But nonetheless, it was always sad for those left behind.

When the Sullys arrived at the rocks after eclipse had come to an end, 'Kanu's family had left to give them space. Everyone expect 'Kanu herself, that was. Without him having to say so, 'Kanu knew that Lo'ak wanted her to stay and she was not going to leave him.

'Kanu and Lo'ak both had their arms wrapped around each other as they watched Neytiri and Tuk crying over Neteyam's body. Hearing the sounds of Tuk's whimpers had brought tears to 'Kanu's eyes for the millionth time that day.

Jake used his knife to cut off the remainder of the cuffs from Kiri's wrist when Spider swam up to the rocks. When he had made it onto the land, he stood up, taking heavy breaths to steady his pulse. Truthfully - 'Kanu had not even realized that he had been missing up until then.

"Monkey boy," Kiri said as she saw the boy. Spider walked over to them and Kiri placed her hand on his chest in a way to greet him. The two smiled at one another as Spider placed a hand on top of hers. 'Kanu could not help but suspect that there was something going on between the two.

Suddenly Jake made Spider turn to him by placing his hands on both of the boy's shoulders, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah," Spider replied and Jake brought him in to a hug.

'Kanu let go of Lo'ak and nudged him toward his father. Lo'ak frowned at her but took an awkward step toward Jake. When Jake turned his head to look at him, he pulled him closer, "Come here."

It was the acceptance he had longed for.

₊˚.༄

"Where is Lo'ak?" Kiri asked, looking around her. Everyone had relocated back to the village and were now getting painted up. That evening they were to watch Neteyam be laid to rest with the ancestors.

Neytiri sighed sadly before she pulled a cup of white paint closer to herself, "'Kanu, could you please find him?"

'Kanu - who had been sitting among the Sully family for some unknown reason - perked up when she heard her name. When she looked down at the bowl of paint that Neytiri offered her, she nodded and accepted it.

"Thank you," Neytiri said with a soft smile. 'Kanu smiled back, even though everyone could tell there was no happiness behind either of their eyes.

'Kanu got to her feet and walked past the exit of the Marui pod. Lo'ak had been missing for a few hours now, and no one had wanted to go find him. He must have been mourning his brother. She had a good idea on where to find him though, and now getting him ready had become a quite urgent matter.

When she made her way through the village she barely noticed the sorry looks the villagers cast her. She was set on ignoring them. Everyone knew about the friendship between her and Neteyam. It had caused quite the stir when the Sullys had first arrived on their island.

If those were the looks she was getting, she hated to think about the pity filled expressions directed at the actual family of the boy who had passed.

'Kanu walked past the many houses in her journey to find Lo'ak. In some she was able to see a happy family. A family that had all their children - not one missing. A family like hers. A family unlike Lo'ak's.

When she clambered over the roots that hid away a small part of the beach, she was careful to not spill any paint. The sun was out and the subtle breeze swept back the loose strands of hair that always managed to escape her braids. Her eyes settled on Lo'ak standing along the shore, throwing pebbles into the ocean and then watching them bounce on the surface.