Chapter 10: The Apology

Masae went the rest of the three-day cultural fair without seeing those strange Zuka girls and she thought she was in the clear. But on the third day, they showed back up again.

She was walking to the music room with Haruhi after a long day. Classes had been cut short to watch the exhibitions of the other schools, the final of which being the Zuka Club's theater performance. By Masae's judgment, their routine was trite, tacky, and garish. The Lobelia fangirls that followed them like a cult seemed to feel otherwise, though. If the Host Club was full of egocentric male manipulators, the Zuka Club was full of hypocrites.

Masae nearly sighed when she caught sight of the figures of the three girls at the end of the hallway, though she somehow knew they would be there. They'd met only once, but Masae got the impression they never gave up on what they hunted.

"Hi young maidens!" Said the young girl– Hinako. While the other two posed dramatically, she broke formation to wave.

Chizuru was second to break, then Benio. The leader of the group said, "We've come for your decision. Are you prepared to leave?"

"Yes, are you ready to confront those Ouran Host idiots and set things straight once and for all?" Asked Chizuru.

They were so arrogant! To kiss her hands and assume that she would leave everything behind for them– they were worse than the Hosts! At least Prince Suoh never asked for a commitment.

"Set what things straight?" Haruhi asked. She were looking at the Zuka girls with wide brown eyes, utterly lost.

Benio came forward and, in a gesture painfully reminiscent of the Prince himself, tilted Haruhi's chin with her finger. Their faces were close– too close. Masae rolled her eyes. "That you should come with us and go to school with your own kind."

Masae set a hand on her hip, quite done with all this. Without a word, she passed the other two Lobelia girls and pushed open the double doors to the club.

A flurry of rose petals nearly knocked her over and all the lights were out. She groaned, feeling a scheme coming.

And no sooner had she uttered a sound than a spotlight shone down in the middle of the room, where the Host club was gathered. Every one of them, aside from Morinozuka, was dressed in a ballgown, makeup, and a wig.

Then they began to sing.

The six boys harmonized on one note before singing their club name, just like the Zuka Club did. And much like the Zuka Club, they didn't have enough combined talent to fill a shallow hat. Masae could only stare.

"Oh. Haruhi, Masae, welcome back," said Suoh casually, as if he wasn't dressed in full drag. He looked strangely regal as he approached them, like he'd been waiting his whole life to slink around in a ballgown.

Honey bounced towards them. "Look! Masa-chan, Haru-chan! I'm a princess now! Aren't I cute?"

"What is the meaning of this?" Benio spluttered. Her pale cheeks were going red with rage as she and her posse took in the Hosts. "Are you trying to make fun of womankind?"

Suoh looked at her like she was a peasant beneath him, but his voice was perfectly civil as he said, "Oh, nothing of the sort, Miss Zuka. On the contrary, we saw you approach our Scholarly Host and our secretary—"

"And our manager," cut in Ootori, as if anybody needed to mention Renge.

"And our manager," conceded Suoh. "And we thought you all looked so nice together that we should make our case in favor of the Host Club as well." He directed his attention to the two Ouran students. "You think women are so great? Well, you can get all the female company you need from us! We can be men and we can be women. It's a– a– what is it called again?"