Chapter 21: Happy Halloween From the Ouran Hosts

"Joyeux Halloween!"

Tamaki's announcement brought class 2-A to hysterics. The cheering that followed his statement was loud enough to drown out what he said next. The real class rep of 2-A watched on, resigned to the fact that Tamaki had stolen his job.

"Quiet, quiet, my darlings!" Tamaki managed to say over the din. He waited until his adoring fans quieted before putting on a charming smile and continuing. "Let's let our class representative speak, hm?"

The class rep– a tall, sullen boy named Miyazaki– looked surprised as Tamaki stepped aside. He recovered himself clumsily.

"Right," said Miyazaki. "Halloween is next Tuesday, so what did we want to do as a class? I heard some of the other classes are going all-out."

"We could throw a party!" Suggested one girl.

"Ooh, or host a haunted house!" Said another.

"What about a horror movie watch party? I've got a great home theater!" Said a third.

"You know, the first-year classes are planning on scaring one another," said Kyoya to Masae. When Tamaki had taken to the front of the classroom, the pair of them had receded to the back. No one cared about their conversation.

Masae gave him a sideways look. "That's nice."

"Yes, it is," Kyoya agreed. "Their little haunted house should be rather quaint. The upperclassmen in the Host Club were thinking..." He cut himself off, giving Masae a meaningful look.

Masae smiled a little. "Kyoya, if you don't tell me what the plan is I can't give my opinion on it."

Kyoya raised his eyebrows in disbelief– they'd been reading each others' minds for years now– but relented with a sigh. "We were going to trap Hikaru, Kaoru, and Haruhi in our own haunted house. Does that sound like something you'd be interested in helping with?"

"Oh. No."

"No?" Kyoya gaped, forgetting himself for a moment. Obviously he had been expecting her to say yes.

"No," said Masae, though she knew he wanted her to elaborate. She wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

Kyoya huffed, folding his hands together pristinely. He stuck his nose up at her. "Well, we'll just have to make do without you then, won't we?"

"Yes you will," said Masae, fighting a smile.

🌹🌹🌹

Word traveled fast throughout the club, and by the time Masae arrived at the music room in the afternoon, all of the upperclassmen knew she wasn't going to help them. Masae was still brushing rose petals out of her hair when Tamaki began prostrating himself at her feet.

"Please forgive us, Masae!" He cried, hands clutching at the lacy trim of her uniform skirt.

Confusion and the desire to push him off warred inside of her; in the end, Masae settled for both. As she pried Tamaki off her skirt she said, "What on Earth are you talking about?"

"What do you mean what am I talking about!" Tamaki shouted. He looked around him to see if anyone was paying attention– they were– before sniffling pathetically. "Why won't you help us scare the first-years?"

"Oh, that's what you're so hysterical about?" She should have expected it, really.

"I am not hysterical!" Tamaki cried hysterically.

Masae scoffed, patting him on the head lightly. While it seemed to sate Tamaki momentarily, Masae sidestepped him.

"Wait, where are you going?" Tamaki asked, sounding panicked.