102. the last laugh

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

        ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

   Play with Fire: Sam Tinnesz, Yacht Money

"Get up!" I yank the guy up and throw him through the window, making glass shatter as he lands on top of garbage bags. "Jerome Valeska." I walk over to the other man and sit across from him. "The attack on the GCPD. Someone on the streets is talking. Somebody knows something." I pull out Jerome's photo from the inside pocket of my leather jacket. "Valeska has red hair, crazy laugh. Might be rolling with a blonde number." I now hold up Barbara's photo.

"I-I don't know anything." The guy tells me. "Honest!"

"Uh-huh." I punch him across the face and he grunts.

"It's the truth! But, hey, I-I can help you guys, you know, spread the word and stuff."

"Valeska killed a friend of ours. Anybody hides him, anybody protects him, they go down, too, you got it?" I rasp out and he nods. "Now spread the word." I pull him up.

"No!" He yells before I throw him out the window.

        •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

I enter Bruce's with Harvey and Jim behind me. I walk past mom and everyone else before heading to my room. I close the door behind me before taking of my leather jacket. I set it on the dresser before taking off my black-shirt. I toss it on the bed and then open my dresser drawer. I look down at my black hoodie before pulling my gray one.

I cover the black hoodie with some of my t-shirts and the close the drawer. I slip on the hoodie and take my hair out from the back. I put my leather jacket back on before I hear a telephone ring. I stop and crane my neck to the telephone on the nightstand. I walk over and I slowly pick up the phone.

"Mija?" His voice goes through the speaker and I freeze up. "Mija? Are you there? Mija?"

"Yes." I splutter out. "Dad...I'm here. How are you-"

"Oh, my God, I can't believe you picked up. I've been calling since you moved there, mija."

"Where are you? How are you doing this? Where-"

"I can't say."

"You could be a thousand miles away. Dad-"

"I'm not going to say where I am, mija. You got enough on your plate."

"Are you—Are you someplace safe? Are you okay?" Tears keep pouring down my cheeks.

"Yeah. I'm alright, mija. I'm okay. And part of it is because I'm careful now. I don't take chances anymore. You shouldn't either."