Koyuki #12

On a broad daylight.

On a porch of an traditional japanese house.

A man was smiling and a kid with a bruised face walked in a porch.

"Maaaan! You sure are strong. Despite that huge beating, it only took you an hour to wake up." The smiling man spoke with confidence.

He continued, "I'm Keizou. I run a martial arts dojo that teaches a barefisted fighting style called soryuu. I don't have a single student. I make my day wages by simply doing some handyman work."

Hakuji looked at the Keizou's back.

Keizou added, "So I want you to do first is to nurse my sick daughter. I have to work, so I want to leave it to you."

Hakuji calmly listened to his words, but it seems Keizou hasn't finish talking yet.

"My wife drowned herself from fatigue of nursing her. It's a tough job. Seriously I was a bother to both my wife and daughter for being weak."

Hakuji finally spoke up, "And you don't mind leaving your only daughter with a criminal?"

Keizou replied while maintaining his smile, "Well, mister criminal, I beat the crap out of you a few hours ago, so it's all good!"

No realizing it, it seems Hakuji and Keizou already reached the front door.

Still maintaining his smile Keizou spoke, "Meet my daughter, Koyuki."

Akaza saw a sickly girl with reminds him of his father.

"Cough."

Keizou and Hakuji walked towards Koyuki.

Keizou asked, "Hey! You look better than in the morning. Are you feeling better now? "

Koyuki replied with a soft low voice, "Y-yeah..."

Keizou pointed his left thumb to the back and pointed Hakuji while saying, "This guy isn't telling me his name, so yeah. Get him to spill it before I get back."

After talking, Keizou left the room.

Koyuki and Hakuji, "..."

In the midst of awkwardness Koyuki spoke up, "Uh, y... your face is hurt.... are you okay?"

Hakuji just nodded.

Hakuji and Koyuki stare each other.

And just like that, Hakuji met his destined one, Koyuki.

Hakuji's POV

It's been a while since I started caregiving that man's daughter. And  my beated face healed up.

Koyuki while laying in bed apologized to me, "I'm sorry for everything. It's my fault that you can't train or go out to play."

Why do sick people always apologize?

(I'm sorry for taking up your time. I'm sorry for making coughing noises. I'm sorry I cannot work to the very best of my ability. I'm sorry for......)

They probably want to do these things
themselves. Their coughs won't stop. They probably want to at least breathe normally. And they should be the one in most pain.

Koyuki had a really weak body. She had to be attended on thought-out the night, and I had to change both the clough on her forehead and her clothes.

She had to drink water frequently, and whenever she went to the bathroom, I had to carry her.

I nursed my dad before, so unlike most other people. My body was more resilient. This wasn't hard for me at all.

After thinking too much, I answered her, "I never thought about playing around, ever since before. When I was free, I just trained, so don't worry about that."

Still not satisfied in my words, she
asked, "But...... sometimes, a change of pace is.......... she stopped and continued, "There's going to be fireworks tonight, so just go...."

I'm not interested about that though, so I said, "Maybe once your dizziness goes away, I'll carry you to the bridge
so we can watch together."

Can't believe in my words be replied, "Eh?......."

I continue saying, "Even if we can't go today, there's next year and the year after that. We can just go in which year you can finally stand up."

She didn't replied to me while tears was falling in her beautiful eyes.

Sob... Sob...

She covered her face and finally cry'd.

This is the only thing that annoyed me the most when I nurse her. Koyuki would just start crying in the middle of our conversation.

It must be depressing to be in a sickbed. When she cries, it just makes me feel uncomfortable.

A few days later.

Sensei and I are currently drinking water in the well.

He spoke, "Ohh, I see. So the 'Haku' in Hakuji come from 'Koma' in 'Komainu'. Oh, okay."

After sipping water.

He continued, "You're the same as me then, huh. There's something you have to protect. Like Komainu guarding a shrine. GAHAHAHA!"

I looked at him.

And smiled.

3 years later. I turned 18. Koyuki turned sixteen, and she stopped lying down all the time because of her sickness. Now, she was starting to be able to live normally

"Hakuji, come here." My master called me.

"Okay." I replied.

I'm currently sitting in front of my master and Koyuki.

I had a sensed a feeling of deja vu as master spoke, " Can you take over my
dojo Hakuji? You can have Koyuki as well.

"Huh?" I was mesmerized by my master's words, as I stared at Koyuki, she was looking down with a faint blush on her cheeks.

I had the tattoos of a criminal. I never imagined having a future. Much less a future where I was loved by someone.

Maybe what my dad told me was right. Can I really find the right way to live?

That fleeting hope where I could possibly fix my life grew so big that I couldn't control it.

And at that moment, I bowed to my betrothed. "Yes"

I saw both of them smiling happily.
I want to protect those two, even if it cost my life.

Now, I'm currently on my father's grave, I want to tell him everything he said was correct. I was able to turn a new leaf, and have a future beyond my reach.

Heyoooo, I sincerely apologize for not publishing for months. I began writing this chapter, 2 hours ago, if there are grammatical errors you find or an extremely not understandable details, then I'm sorry.

I'll start writing writing the next chapter after I take a break. You can expect a new chapter a few hours from now. Thanks, for reading.