iii. nightmares

12 years ago

I sat down on the couch, it was late at night, probably midnight, everyone else was asleep. The babies were at their nurseries and my mama was in her room, where she has been staying the past few days, ever since Hyacinth was born… Hyacinth, our newest member, named after the last flower our father smelled and touched.  I was so nostalgic of him. His sweet smile, his funny jokes and pranks.

Sleep wasn't an easy thing the past week, I haven't revealed it to any member of my family, especially not Anthony, he was the viscount and suddenly he had the weight of us on his shoulder. I felt so alone, it was actually cold… I started shivering the moment I heard a baby cry, I wasn't certain whether it was Hyacinth or Gregory, I wished for them to feel the love of the family and not of the maids.  Since mama was unable to process anything or approach Hyacinth, I was the eldest sister, that was on me. I dragged my feet to the staircase as the shrieks of the baby got louder and tenser.  It was Gregory, I picked him up in my arms and rocked him gently patting his little back softly. He seemed hot, I touched his face softly, he seemed hot… I placed him back on his crib, I would make some vinegar and cold  pack to lower it.  I stood up and felt dizzy the moment I did…  I took a few more steps to the staircase before everything blacked out…

"Eva!" I could hear Anthony "Help somebody;" 

"Anthony what happened?" This was Benedict, I could hear them close to me, I couldn't speak, I had my eyes open but there was only a blur in my vision. "Daphne, take Eloise and Fran in their room" Benedict ordered as i felt him touch my wrist, I knew it was him, I could sense his soft grip,  Anthony wasn't speaking. "Colin wake up Mrs Wilson and call a physician" he added. "She has a steady pulse, she is only unconscious. Anthony, she will be alright" he told him.

"She fell down stairs Benedict" Anthony spoke breathlessly, I was endeavoring to speak make up a word to let him know I was still there I could hear him.

"She is alive Anthony" Benedict almost yelled "I shall attempt lifting her to her bedroom" he stated and he swept his arms first underneath my knees and then he attempted to raise my waist, I blared in agony while he lifted me, I squeezed the fabric of his sleeve.  The dolor was unbearable, I was unaware of the  reason it was happening, I could barely recall what happened before I slept.

"Ev!" He exclaimed slowly letting me back to the ground, I felt another set of strong arms assisting him,sharing my weight.

"Uh, don't- don't do that" I breathed out looking around.

"Oh my god you are alright" Anthony held my cheek softly as I was looking into his eyes.

"I am" I assured my brothers and moved to sit up and cried. "On a second thought no, it aches too much" I panted slightly and let my body loose to fall down, Benedict caught me landing me softly.

"We cannot leave you here Eva" Benedict sighed, Anthony was silent and even more pale than he was supposed to be. I assumed it was owing to the fear I've given him. "You ought to be a bit patient though" he spoke, stroking my head softly and I simply nodded. "Anthony, we are going to sweep her as carefully as we can right?" He asked and Anthony nodded silently. I felt their arms coo my body softly, the stings of sore pinching my left side as they didn't touch my waist only my knees and shoulders. I shrieked slightly leaning my head against Anthony's sighed, my forehead touching his cheek, he placed a kiss on it softly.

We climbed up stairs and placed me on my bed, it was made,untouched.  They sat by me on the mattress looking at me. "What happened?"Anthony asked and I rolled my eyes lightly.

"Gregory was crying, I thought he was feverish and on my way to make some cold packs for him-" I explained and paused trying to recall the rest "I fell, I think" I stated.