The return

6 years ago

Eva

It had been six years, six years without our father and six years during which I was looking after my Hyacinth and Gregory. We were far from being adapted to the new reality. Mama was still working on learning to be on her own and so did Anthony. The new viscount had to learn everything alone without the help of our father, with people ready to take advantage of that loss and us.

It was far from easy, the loss unbearable as every time I thought of him, I felt my stomach twist and my heart to ache so much. The only way for that pain to go away it was when Benedict would hug me to sleep, remind me that I have him to lean on, my big brother that would always protect me and advise me.

Of course, Anthony is our big brother, the man of the house but he had to leave soon to go to Oxford once again and this left me alone with the family. I couldn't lean on him as he was the one needing more support than I ever actually did. The weigh he is obliged to carry is unbearable. Someone has to assist him as well, even if it is in such indirect way.

Hyacinth is six and Gregory is seven. Gregory was asleep that night and I was asleep as well when small naughty footsteps sounded closer and followed by a knock on the door. I sighed "Come in" I spoke and little Hyacinth tapped her foot and climbed on my bed snuggling under my covers. "What is it?" she asked.

"Collin was telling me scary stories... and Anthony is not here. So I am scared." She spoke as she hugged me over the stomach with her tiny arms. I was already twenty and had my first season debut last month, many candidates appeared but none of them was of my liking if I were honest. They simply wished to take advantage of the family name.

"Awe there is no need to be scare love." I kissed her cheek and covered her. "Close those eyes and I promise if you sleep nothing will happen."I assured her, when I finished my sentence she had already fallen asleep. I was so grateful this little creature was growing into a brilliant little lady. I still remember the day she was delivered to our world, she was a small sparkle in the darkest day of our lives. An anchor for our mama to live again...

Today—

Bridgerton residence—

Benedict's POV

I walked in the house holding her in my arms. I couldn't remove my gaze from her pale and blank expression as she was passed out in my embrace, and from her belly that seemed indeed to be bigger. The hysterics from before seemed as if the pregnancy was in her head. Therefore, I am not so sure now. We are ignorant of what happened and of Owen's whereabouts. The Duke said he would take care of that part.

It was night and Anthony had sent the kids and Eloise with Fran back upstairs and I agreed. Eloise may look tough but she shouldn't see Eva in such condition. I felt the warmth of the house hit my face and felt somewhat relief.

"Bring her to my room" Mama spoke as her expression froze when she looked at her eldest daughter.

As soon as I located her upon the bed, Mama sat next to her and stroke her hair. It wasn't until this moment I realized how much they actually look alike. Her palm rested on her cheek for some moments and Eva's expression shifted, she looked upset but none of us dared to shake her awake.

"How did you find her Anthony?" Mama looked at my brother who was pacing the room.

"She was locked in the room. We weren't able to actually talk with her she simply hanged her self from me until she collapsed... She only said one thing." Anthony explained briefly leaving all the details behind to not upset her further than she already was.

"What did she say...?" Mama wondered and her eyes gleamed even more I could see she expected to hear the worse. Anthony looked at me and I sighed.

"Eva claims to be with child mama. And if I am honest it looks like it as well" I informed her gently and took her hand placing it upon my sister's stomach.