SIX

DAISY

DAISY

"Do you have to go, baby?" I nod at Jenny as she stands at the door, looking at us with eyes tearful in Bobby's arms.
Kevin packed light which I was glad for and Bobby let me have some of his clothes for the escape.

I look at them both, "I promise I will pay you back for all of this." Bobby shook his head, "That's what family is for, Daisy. They help each other out when they're in trouble and you... you helped us out." His eyes go to Kevin who was making sure everything was set with an embarrassed look on his face. I smile at Bobby and I take out my backup debit card and hold it up for them, "There's 25,000 in this account, and-" Jenny shakes her head, "A mother never takes money from her child, Daisy." Tears well in my eyes as I say, "No, but the child sometimes wants her mother to be happy." I keep the card in her hand and smile, "Don't worry, I have enough to survive. I've been saving for a long time, Jenny."

Bobby nods his head in appreciation and Jenny pulls me to her chest, "Be safe, okay?" I kiss her cheek and say, "I promise. I'll find my way back to you as soon as I get this sorted out." Bobby asks, "Who was that man anyway?" I shrug, "I don't know. He spoke Korean but at the same time, the way he said things... I don't want to wait and find out. I need to take Kevin out of here."

I drive a good amount of hours until we decided to call it a day and get a motel for a few hours.

In those hours, Kevin hadn't said a thing until I came out from the bathroom and I see his eyes red, sitting on the edge of the bed with his legs up, knees hugged to his chest, "It's like seven steps back, Daisy." He looks up and cries, "I'm sorry. I am so sorry, Daisy. We're seven steps back, and it's all my fault. I thought I was being careful." I sigh and throw the towel on the floor, sit right beside him and ask, "What's wrong, Kevin?"

He sniffs, "It's like seven steps back for us, Daisy. We're seven steps back." Realization set in me. Seven steps is seven years. He feels like we're going back seven years to the day that ruined both of our lives. I hold his chin between my thumb and forefinger and turn his head to me, "You hear me out clear, here and now, no one will harm you. No one will take you away from me. I will do anything to protect you, Kevin, even if it means I need to get some blood on my hands." I'm sure that I'm not backing down so easily. Anything to protect Kevin.

Anything.

I wrap my arms around him and he lays his head on my shoulder, sniffing gently and then slowly holding me back by wrapping his arms around my waist, "We'll be okay, right?"

"Yes, we will be."

The rain was heavy outside and thundered loud that it made me think it was a good idea to call it a day. I couldn't keep driving the bike in this rain and renting a car was out of option. I had to save every penny somehow. For Kevin.
I will go back to Zane but not before I hide Kevin.
The better option was New York for us. I knew he can finish his schooling there and get into NYU without any hiccups. Getting a scholarship for himself was easy, the hard part was waiting.