TWENTY

WOO-JIN

WOO-JIN

We could finally go home.

I ignore the calls and texts for the day as we walk towards the gates. She stops and stares at the mannequin at the window, her eyes going wide at the white dress. She loves it.

I walk to stand behind her, "Now what?" She smiles, her attention on the dress, "Pretty, isn't it? I always wanted to wear a dress like that. Modest. Bright. Innocent. You know why people like me wear revealing clothes for other men at the club?" I don't ask for the answer because I knew it was coming my way with a heavy heart, "We wear them so they won't sexualize the girls who wear that dress. But we fail. Every day, we fail." I watch the column of her neck move as she swallows.
I sigh, "If I get you that dress, will you promise to not bring up last night over and over again?"

Maybe I've figured her out. Maybe not. I'm good at reading people except for one, and I know I have her figured out in my head but sometimes I don't. She's not different, she's nothing special. She's loud, annoying, crazy at times, bratty, tons of anger issues, but... there's something about her that makes me wanna think it's all a facade. Last night I saw the fear in her eyes pushed back by anger. And today I saw anger pushed by being bratty all day long.

She snorts, "You think I will let you?"

"What? Buy you that dress?"

"No. About last night."

I don't have to say another word when I'm pulling her with me inside the store with a tug at the end of her scarf. She doesn't protest nor pull away.
I point her to the same dress on the rack with different colors, "Choose." She doesn't need to be told twice when she chooses the white one and looks at it with a phantom smile.
I'm making my way to the register but she's making her way to the changing room. I grab the end of the dress, "You're going the wrong way." She pulls the fabric from my grip, "I need to try it on first."

"Just pay and be done with it."

"You can leave your card and go home. I can come by myself ."

No way was I leaving her alone with my card. Next thing I know she could be either buying a house, paying for a trip, or even buying something that will piss me off.

I follow her to the changing rooms and sit on the green bench outside with my legs crossed, "10 minutes." She keeps the rest of the bags near me and walks inside the room, sliding the curtain to close herself in. The thin curtain doesn't do justice to anything. It's not that I could see her naked, but I could see her arms move as she took off her t-shirt, then came off her jeans, then her bra. She ties her hair up and then wears the dress, pulls it down her body, and does a little twirl to what I think was in front of the mirror.

What did it look like on her?
Get a grip, Woojin. You're not curious and you shouldn't be.

I close my eyes and tilt my head back, internally scolding myself for even thinking that question when I hear the rings of the curtain screech and then comes her voice, "What do you think?"
No, don't look. You don't need to look. "Just get it over with and let's go." She clicks her tongue, "Woojin!" My breathing almost hitched at my name and I had to look no matter what.