23 ¦ Why am I here?

Wow... we already hitted 2K reads and i'm nowhere near the end of this story. THANK U ALL SM!! <3 Now enjoy ;)
- - -

A  soft, steady beeping reaches my ears as I gradually regain consciousness. Blinking, I open my heavy eyelids as I use my fingers to feel the rough-feeling cover of the bed I'm on.

"Lola," I hear my mother's voice. In response, I notice a cool hand reaching for mine. "W-where am I?", I ask in confusion as I look around the hospital room.

I grab my nasal probe, through which cool air flows into my nose. In my hand is an IV with a tube connected to it, an IV running through it into my body.

"At the hospital," Teresa replies, standing next to my mother, who clutches my hand tightly. Her eyes fill with tears as she holds her free hand in front of her mouth. Gradually the images come back into my head of my father brutally kicking me and me gasping for breath in panic.

I want to sit up, but feel a slightly painful resistance on the left side of my ribcage. Startled, I realize there is a tube stuck in my body. "What is that?" The beeping of the monitor I'm hooked up to speeds up. "I'm going to get a doctor," Teresa informs my mother and me before leaving the room.

Just moments later, she returns closely followed by a doctor and his assistant. "Mrs. Rey, you're awake," he states, introducing himself to me as Dr. Murphy. My mother and Teresa step away from my bed to let him do his work.

"How are you feeling? Are you in pain?" he wants to know as he shines a small light into my eyes. "Pupils are isocor," he informs his assistant, who notes everything down on a small clipboard. He then listens to my lungs with a stethoscope. "Not at the moment," I reply. "Why am I here?"

"Well-," Dr. Murphy continues, glancing in the direction of my mother and Teresa. "The massive force on your chest has resulted in a pneumothorax. This is when air accumulates between the lung and the chest wall, which, of course, doesn't belong there. Due to a collapsed lung, my colleagues and I routinely placed a drain on you, which we used to stabilize your lung and should get the pneumothorax under control quickly," he tells me, looking confident.

"How long is this thing going to stay in my body?", I want to know, pointing to the drainage that's stuck in my body. "It certainly feels strange," Dr. Murphy informs me, nodding in understanding. "However, the drain won't be pulled until the pneumothorax has healed. I'm guessing that won't be for a few days at the earliest."

"Alright...", I murmur softly and lower my gaze. Nervously, I tug at the yellowish cover of the blanket and press my lips tightly together. "Get some rest," Dr. Murphy advises me, nodding. "I'll see you at rounds in the morning. Good night, Mrs. Rey."

The doctor and his assistant then leave the hospital room, leaving me alone again with Teresa and my mother. Suddenly, my mother rises. "Excuse me for a moment," she mumbles in a shaky voice before she puts her hand over her mouth and storms out of the room.

"What's wrong with her?" I ask Teresa, who looks worriedly at my mother, but remains at my side. "She's taking it all very hard..." replies Teresa, obviously struggling with her emotions herself, as a sob escapes her thin lips.

"Where is Sunghoon?", I ask in a thin voice. The fact that he is not here speaks for itself. Although I know that my father's aggressiveness alone is responsible for my lying here, I secretly blame Sunghoon as well. After all, the annulment of the contract he had with my father until a few hours ago was the trigger for his actions.

I can't explain what happened so that Sunghoon canceled the contract. But maybe it really is my fault.... Maybe I did something that angered Sunghoon. So maybe my father's anger was justified and maybe I deserve to be here.