41 ¦ Kiss Me and Bite Me

"Where is Sunghoon?"

After leaving the house this morning head over heels to go to the company, Sunghoon still hasn't returned and gradually I'm starting to worry. What if something has happened?

Restlessly, I pace up and down the entryway, my gaze repeatedly falling on the front door, which refuses to open. Sunghoon told me not to worry. However, I can't help but think the devil is coming.

"He will surely come soon," Teresa assures me, standing just a few feet away from me on the landing, eyeing me. "That's what you said an hour ago," I reply worriedly, stopping just in front of her with my eyebrows drawn together.

Suddenly, I hear the sound of a key turning in the lock. Immediately I whirl around and watch as the door opens and Sunghoon enters the house with the man from this morning. He thrusts a gun into his hand, which the man slides into his back pants pocket.

"Sunghoon," I say anxiously, grabbing his arm. "What happened?!" "Go upstairs," Sunghoon demands coldly, not dignifying me with a glance and keeping his eyes on the floor instead.

"Tell me what happened," I demand, lifting his face to look at me. I don't even think about complying with his request until he tells me the truth. Why does he need a gun if he's going to his company? And why has he been gone so long?

"I told you to go upstairs!", Sunghoon repeats his request. This time he even raises his voice, glaring angrily at me from his brown eyes that bore deeply into mine. At the same time he roughly knocks away my hands, which still hold his face.

Startled by his reaction, I back away. My eyes fill with tears as I stare at the young man in disbelief. I can't believe Sunghoon is reacting so aggressively.

Teresa, who witnesses the action up close, also looks surprised. "Lola, come," she says, grabbing my arm to pull me away from Sunghoon, who has long since averted his gaze from me again and whose chest is rising and falling erratically, his nostrils visibly fluttering.

A few tears break loose from the corners of my eyes and make their way down my cheeks. This is the sunghoon I've come to know. Cold and untouchable. Yet something about him seems vulnerable and small; his hunched posture and the way he avoids looking me in the eye longer than necessary.

Sunghoon has a terrible past, of which I am well aware. His father was just as big an asshole as my father. His mother took her own life and now I'm an additional burden on top of his own problems.

Teresa pulls me up the stairs to the top of the stairs where I retire to my guest room. She follows me. "I'd really like to be alone," I inform the woman and sit down on the large four-poster bed. I keep my gaze lowered as I do so.

I feel foolish. Naive... How could I even consider that Sunghoon was serious? That Sunghoon sees me as more than this annoying little girl who needs to be protected from her own father? He doesn't love me. Because if he did, he wouldn't have pushed me away from him, making me feel like a burden to him.

"He didn't mean it," Teresa says with conviction, as if she can read my mind. But I refuse to believe that. He meant exactly what he said. Teresa puts her hand on my shoulder and sighs audibly.

Silently, I wrap my arms around my legs and place my chin on my knees as I stare into space. "Please go," I whisper. Teresa withdraws her hand and rises from the edge of my bed. With her eyes downcast, she leaves the guest room to give me my space. But this space doesn't last long, as the door opens again a few minutes later and Sunghoon rushes toward me.