57 ¦ Make A Wish

A/N: I know Sunghoon's birthday is in December but I changed it for this story.

- - -

With a smile on my lips, I put the last candles on the cake I baked for Sunghoon, who has long been asleep. Today is his 24th birthday and although he has said that he does not want to celebrate it, I want to give him at least a little joy. 

Since today is the first time in over two weeks that there is no rain forecast, I also planned a little trip to get some air. Quietly, I push open the door to the bedroom where Sunghoon is still lying on the bed sleeping.

Carefully, I lay back down with him and wrap my arm around his body. I place a kiss on his cheek and snuggle against his chest. For a while, I just lay there, listening to the regular pounding of his heart. 

At some point, I notice that Sunghoon is beginning to stir. He takes a deep breath through his nose and stretches a little before he opens his eyes, blinking, and directs them at me. A smile curls his lips as I approach his face to kiss him. 

"Happy birthday," I wish him, running my fingers through his brown hair, which falls into his forehead. "Thank you," Sunghoon replies. The smile on his lips fades and he lets his gaze wander thoughtfully through the air before his brown eyes linger on something. 

I follow his gaze and discover the picture standing on a dresser. It shows Sunghoon standing with his mother in front of a cake with many lit candles. Both are laughing, they seem carefree and happy.

I don't dare bring up the subject because I know how sad it makes Sunghoon. And I can't bear to see him sad. 

To draw his attention from the picture back to me, I start drawing little circles on his chest with my finger, placing many little kisses on his cheek. Sunghoon begins to smile and pulls me closer to his chest. 

"Jagiya," he murmurs, kissing my lips. "I'm glad I have you." "You won't be getting rid of me that quickly either," I assure him, grinning slightly. His brown eyes scrutinize me intently before they begin to sparkle. "That's all I want," he tells me, placing a kiss on the tip of my nose, then moving his lips down to my mouth. 

We stay in bed for a while, enjoying being close to each other, until we finally decide to get up. Sunghoon first goes to the bathroom to freshen up, while I go downstairs and carry the cake to the dining room, where I have already set everything for breakfast. 

When I notice Sunghoon's footsteps on the stairs, I light the candles and stand in front of the table, facing the door. The door opens and he enters the room, whereupon he stops as if rooted to the spot and lets his gaze wander over the set table, his brown eyes lingering on the cake on which the candles, a two and a four, are burning. 

"Happy birthday, Hoon," I wish Sunghoon again, but he doesn't make a face. "I told you I didn't want to celebrate my birthday," Sunghoon says coldly. He doesn't seem to be happy about my surprise. Yet I went to so much trouble; I got up extra early to prepare everything. 

"It's just a cake," I reply, pressing my lips together, my eyes filling with tears. I can't hide how much his reaction hurts me. He doesn't seem to miss it. "I'm sorry, Jagiya. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings," he assures me, pulling me to him for a hug.