VIII

15. awful perhaps but still wonderful

· · ─────── · · ─────── · ·

The clouds are stormy in the Great Hall, floating above the lively crowd, vulnerable to the floating candles. It wouldn't catch fire of course, they were enchanted after all. Products of magic that were created with a wave of a wand and could very well be made to vanish with the same.

Despite its less than permanent nature, it's a matter of wonder for those gathered. Kids point up at it and more grown up kids dub the odd shapes formed by the clouds as their friends. Along with the clouds, another something or rather someone held the attention of the audience.

Hogwarts receives oddballs all the time. It is absolutely not uncommon and rarely of importance. Yet, a six feet tall eleven year old is a matter of interest.

Upon closer inspection, they figure out that the six feet tall individual with dark waves for hair conversing enthusiastically with the first years was not in fact eleven. Although their school robes may indicate to them being an older student stuck with chaperoning the kids, they neither had an identifying insignia nor was their face forgettable.

The students track their progress from the doors to the podium where they find the teachers watching with ill concealed interest. Throughout the walk, the stranger converses with the flock of kids surrounding her and observes the magical hall with slouched shoulders and mild interest.

"Ah yes," Albus Dumbledore's remark is amused and self satisfied beyond reason as he mounts the stage out of nowhere. Others focus on him with rapt attention. "Welcome to another magical year at Hogwarts!" Abiding the norm, he acknowledges the peculiar happening of the day but doesn't elaborate on it. "Indeed how magical it'll be."

No less than thirteen goblets are emptied across the hall at the prospect.

"As usual, remember that the Forbidden Forest is," the Headmaster leans closer, the wings of the owl upon the podium flaps its wings ominously, "forbidden. And all the other highly discouraged places are highly discouraged as well," which was of course, a whole half of the castle. "Finally, vwdoma wfbia itnogg."

The Hall echoes with applause for phrases they didn't understand. Minerva takes over with a much more comprehensible speech, conveying the purpose of the shabby hat following a warm welcome. There is no stutter in the usual routine of students being called out and sorted in their respective houses despite the stranger's presence.

Fred and George produce red and gold fireworks at one point. The action doesn't deter the group of Ravenclaws passing biscuits beneath the table. The wait for the feast could be torturous at times. Vincent Crabbe's short nap remains undisturbed too.

"Jackson, Perseus!" that serves as the wake up call. Everyone looks upon with ravenous interest as the stranger climbs the stage. They walk with a quiet sort of confidence, head held high yet shoulders still slouched. Nothing gives away what she was feeling.

Percy curses with every step she scales. Some resemble prayers too. It mostly consists of threats though, to a particular goddess of magic.

"This year, Hogwarts is honored to take part in a student exchange program!" Minerva announces with such pride that Harry might believe the ruse as well. Her gaze sweeps over to the Gryfindor table as if to invite them into the inside joke as well. "We've tied up with Illvermony, American school of magic to bring back this age old tradition."