XII

23. we slytherins take care of each other

· · ─────── · · ─────── · ·

"Draco Malfoy,"

The said blond curses a storm mentally. He wishes he had taken the risk and followed the stupid witch to see her punch the Headmaster. Even Snape's rather concerning obsessive nature with his cupboards didn't seem all that unappealing at the moment.

In comparison to Blaise's knowing gaze that is. He hated the observant arsehole.

"What?" He doesn't raise his voice more than a mumble even though his haughty façade demands him to do so.

It's late. Most have retired to their respective rooms with the exception of the fifth years. The quiet hour wraps them in a blanket of hushed conversations. Conversations that were dwindling at the confrontation.

"Are you ready to tell us now?"

"Tell you what Zabini?"

"Why you have been such a wanker these days?" Pansy answers instead, crossing her legs and fixing him with a steely stare. "How about we start there?"

"Would it kill you for you to be clear?"

"Would it kill you for you to be nice?"

"Why should I be?"

"Then why should I be?"

"Pansy," Millicent sighs.

Theo snatches the opportunity to question. He leans forward, utilising his short stature that he doesn't loathe as much since it allows him to read the blond's downcast face. "What's been up with you lately?"

Draco wills for his tense figure to relax. A harder task than it should be underneath their gazes. It would have been easier to do so if they didn't appear so certain. He'll have to feign ignorance for their sake at the least. "Wh—?"

Blaise doesn't allow that. "Why you are so intent on avoiding us? You haven't been yourself lately."

"The books too," Crabble mutters.

"You're reading a lot more too," Goyle adds.

Draco doesn't suppress his snort then. Their words serve as the stark reminder he needed. They are friends in nothing but name. How were they ever to know that he spent days and nights locked up his room, studying his notes?

That powers him to scoff and say, "Maybe I've grown more serious about my academics and have an ounce of concern for my future?"

The 'unlike you peasants' is unsaid but implied.

"Since when?" Astoria's question is faint. She isn't too close but also isn't too sure. She looks over to her sister but she's already gone.

"Since this summer of course," it's almost commendable of how he states with all the certainty and pride he does not possess. "I'll have to carry on the noble name and make my contributions to preserve its greatness."

"And that includes pushing your friends away?"

"I'll do what I've to do." He has been counting on Pansy being distracted with flirting with every living thing under the sun with a pulse but he hadn't foreseen her disappointment.

Honestly, Jackson has served as the perfect distraction. She was enamoured with her at first sight. Although he deems it questionable in some aspects, he gets it. She looks fine, attractive in a way that thought drives into your skull and imprints in your brain. She could be annoying though.